how to hook live bream/minnows

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by cliff n york, Oct 20, 2007.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    how do you hook your live bait. i plan on fishing in some fast water, and of course lakes also

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Through the lips or near the tail area.

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    In the current baits will stay alive longer if you hook them in the nose, so they can face into the current. If you tail hook baits and toss them into current their gill plates will be forced open as soon as their heads point downstream after they tire a little, and they will drown. It could take as little as 20 or 30 minutes, then you got uncut bait instead of live bait lol. But hook them in the nose and they will live for hours.

4. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    In current I nose hook the also but with no current I hook em in the tail.:wink:

5. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I hook them 3 ways. Fast water requires that they be hooked tru the nose. Slow to still water will be a tail hook. If I am fishing on the bottom,I hook them tru the bottom side of the tail as they tend to swim up instead of hide. I hook them tru the top side of the tail if I am fishing off the bottom. Catfishjon

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    in current i hookum in the forehead and in slack water i hookum in the anal fin area. both places give plenty of meat to hook without fatal wounds. as said the anal fin hooking will give a more natural and frantic bait presentation!

7. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    bluegill below the dorsal fin or through the eyes, shad i hook through the eyes, never hook a shad through the mouth unless you want it dead cause they need theyre mouth open to breathe, but my favorite over all is below the dorsal fin.

8. pinpunch

pinpunch New Member

State:
    ohio
    :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh: Sounds like catfishjon & TX Fisherman have some good advise! :smile2::smile2::smile2: