how to hook live bait

Discussion in 'ALABAMA RIVER TALK' started by danbran4, Jun 3, 2008.

1. danbran4

danbran4 New Member

State:
    alabama
    I have a question for you guys, I was wonderin how i should hook my live bait fish? anything will help.

2. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Jeffrey,

First of all what type of bait fish are you using?

I like to hook my gizzard shad/blueback herring through the nostrils but I like to hook sunfish through the top of the back right behind the top fin. If I am suspending sunfish off the bottom I will mix it up and go through the nostrils.

Where do you mainly fish for flatheads at?

3. danbran4

danbran4 New Member

State:
    alabama
    I'm going to be usin bluegill and the only place i have been here in alabama is the coosa, shore fishin.

4. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    Well this is what I do with bluegills... I cut off the dorsal fin thus putting some good sent in the water and the gill will still live a good while....some people cut the tails so they can't swim away from a big cat put they seem to bleed out and die alot quicker this way...I hook my hook right in front of where the dorsal was before I cut it off...most the time they will take the bait head first..hopes this helps...

5. danbran4

danbran4 New Member

State:
    alabama
    I appreciate the info i will try it out the next time i go out fishin.

6. AlaCatter

AlaCatter New Member

State:
    alabama
    You also want to consider which way the current is flowing (if any) and what you want your live bait to do. Bream hooked behind the dorsal fin fished directly behind a boat in current will not live as long as bream hooked in front of the dorsal. I surmise it is because every time they go to push water through their gills it is meet with water pushing back the opposite way. In lite current or lakes either way works.
    If you want the bait to hold close to the bottom, hook it on the bottom of it's body e.g. tail or lip. When it pulls against your line it will naturally be pulled downward. If you want the bait constantly fighting upwards, above boulders or logs, hook it on the top rear part of its body and give it a little extra leader. It will then swim nearly vertical.
    Most importantly, match your hook size to the bait your using not the fish your after. Small flatheads have huge mouths, they can swallow big bream. You are gonna need a fairly large hook for big bream. With carp you are gonna need even bigger. Experiment with what works best.

7. danbran4

danbran4 New Member

State:
    alabama
    Thanks for the useful information, it will definitely help.

8. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    if your using blue gill I would hook them right underneath the dorsol fin where the hook can go through its back, or if that dont work for you you can always cut the head off of it and use the head its good cat bait.

9. fugeman

fugeman New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I hook my bream just under the dorsal fin. Just read about cutting the dorsal fin off. May have to give that a try. How long do they usually live?

10. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Scott,

Welcome aboard. Glad to have another Bamian on the BOC. I have used bluegill, the same one, all night (which sucks because it meant I didn't catch anything with that one) I was fishing on Pickwick and everytime I would move I would simply reel the bluegill in and place him in my livewell with the hook still attached, get to the next hole, and sling him back out. That was with hooking him through the nostrils. In my experience, cutting the dorsal off has no impact on how long he lives given you take care of them when you reel them up headed to your next hole and of course the same applies if you don't cut their dorsal off.

11. fugeman

fugeman New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    What has been your experience with hooking them through the nostril. Never tried that. Just always hooked them under the dorsal fin. Always wanting to learn something new to help me catch more cats.

12. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Scott,

When I first started out that's the only way I did it but then I started fishing fast moving rivers and had/started changing it up. But it has worked for me, it's my preferred method fishing for flatheads vertically. Everyone has their own way, none right none wrong, just what works for you best.

13. fugeman

fugeman New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    Gonna have to give it a try next time. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

14. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

I hook them in front of the dorsal fin. They will last a long time with a little current. If the water is moving fast about a day is all you will get out of them. Speaking for a trotliners point of view.

15. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Some people hooks fish by the lower lip. I think its best by the tail. Most of the larger fish will try for the head first.

16. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    i hook mine right before the tail never fails on a good hook set and they stay alive longer..:big_smile: