How to hook live bait

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by RAPTOR, May 31, 2009.

1. RAPTOR

RAPTOR New Member

State:
    IOWA
    What is the best way to hook live Bullheads,Bluegills??? What is the best hook set up also for these baits...Thank you...

2. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Here's a pic of a large talapia I hooked through the back behind the dorsal fin. In heavy current people like to hook throught the back behind the head or through the lips. I use 7/0 or 10/0 king kahles.

Attached Files:

3. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Chris, If you don't mind me askin, What are ya hopen to catch draggin a live bait from your car door..??? Roadkill or something.lol

4. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I prefer to hook in the back behind the dorsal if the boat is stationary.
    If I'm drifting I hook through the lips because if you don't you drag your
    bait backwards and they will sometimes drown the same as in heavy
    current like you said.

5. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    GO BIG OR GO HOME!!

LOL.
    Nahh.. that's the back of my mini van lol. Had the hatch open and the pole resting in the back. Felt like taking a picture of the biggo talapia. Unfortunately he did not get eaten..

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    for me its in the middle of the back, if there big i trip the fin

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    in the tail just above the anal fin, make sure ya don't hit the spine and kill your bait

8. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    i usually hook them through the back when I'm NOT fishing heavy current and I prefer to hook them that way anytime I can that way no even if it's a baby and he just bits the head or the tail of the my bait the hook will be close by somewhere. when I'm fishin in heavier current I hook them through the mouth because they stay alive longer. this may sound dumb but I've heard that when you hook them through the back in heavy current the fish will drown sounds dumb but I've tried it the last couple of weeks and the live bait that I've hooked through the head has stayed alive longer than the ones I hooked through the back

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Chris-Jagdoctor,, calls it a mini-van, and, that's how it started it's life,, but,, I've seen it,,,
    the whole dang thing is just one, big, mobile, tacklebox,Rod rack, bait tank, icebox, fishin rig, sleepin quarters, etc...!!!:smile2:

He probably had that baitfish stuck in his ashtray, or glovebox... till he needed it..:big_smile:

10. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Ive been hooking all my bait under the dorsal fin...they seem to stay alive a heck of alot longer that way than any other I have tried.

11. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

That,s a good point you don,t see mentioned often enough!Sometimes when I,m talking to a new guy I forget to mention that.Gotta reach the area where your hooks holding good,but not killing em.:big_smile:

12. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    When your hooking bullheads, you really dont need to bury the hook very deep. Bullheads have very tough skin and you can hook them through the skin and just a little bit of meat and they will stay on for many casts and runs if they arent killed. That is one reason that they are a great choice for bait. Worst part about usin them is getting them OFF your hook afterwards, usually gotta cut them off the hook.