How To Hook Live Bait for flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by mudcat_xpress, Aug 27, 2005.

1. mudcat_xpress

mudcat_xpress New Member

State:
    Beckley, WV
    I generally fish with creekchubs around 8" long or redeye(rockbass) 6" o 10" long. I like to put the hook in the mouth an bring form the inside out right in the hard section behind their eye. The bait seems to stay alive better this way what do you prefer?

2. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I just started using gills about 3"-4" long. Never used live bait before. I hook them behind the dorsal fin by the tail. Not sure if I like hooking them like this because I think the cat takes the bait head first and the tail is at the front of his mouth. I had a BIG cat on lastnight that got off for some reason,,,hook set felt real good??

3. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I've had the the best luck hooking a bluegill behind the dorsal fin.

With chubs, I hook them through the eyes or behind the dorsal fin. Same with live shad.

4. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I hook live bait behind the dorsal fin no matter what it is...reason being that if/when the bait eventually dies...the current will make it flutter...making it look like it's still alive. In slack water hooking behind the dorsal will make your bait fish struggle more...therefore attracting the attention/affection of nearby predator fish. Also cutting a few scales off of your baitfish will put a little bit of blood in the water...giving the predator one more avenue of detecting your bait. If your bait is dead...I always make a few slices in it and give it a good squeeze before I cast it out to give it a little extra stink.

5. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I usually hook bait through the gill plate in current and behind the dorsal in still water.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I hook them half way from the dorsal to the tail. It seems the bait will bleed more in this area,but the bait will die quicker. Really doesnt matter how long my bait stays alive, if the flatheads are in the area, they will get to it before it dies. Even after the bait dies, you can still use it as cut bait.

7. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    I hook bream just over halfway to the tail just below the dorsal but low enough to get into some bone area. About halfway between the dorsal and the spine. If you go too close to the tail, the hook is easier to rip out as you cast it. The way I hook them, they live for hours.

8. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    What I do in standing water is I hook mine just under, and a little towards the rear of the dorsal fin. It lets the fish swim around more. When I am in current, I hook the bait through both lips, but fairly shallow to help the fish live, and to help the hookset.

9. Shank

Shank New Member

State:
    Killeen, TX
    I hook my 'gills in the meaty portion between the dorsal & head, 1/2 way from spine to top. Yellows will grab bait & turn it to swallow head 1st & the hook will set good in the side of the mouth almost every time

10. indiana_fishin

indiana_fishin New Member

State:
    Indiana Baby
    i usually hook my gill behind the dorsel and get pretty good hook sets.Last night 4 some reason tho i missed a good one.

11. Shank

Shank New Member

State:
    Killeen, TX
    I hook my 'gills in the meaty portion between the dorsal & head, 1/2 way from spine to top. Yellows will grab bait & turn it to swallow head 1st & the hook will set good in the side of the mouth almost every time.

Also gets good hook-ups with Gar so I can give them a new place to live (aka On the Bank). Hey, Coons & possums' gotta eat too

12. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    When I hook my bream behind the dorsall fin sometimes the tip of the hook will rehook the gill. Like the bream is swimming around and hooking itself. Anyone else have this problem? How do you cure this? I don't remember what size hooks I'm using off the top of my head but I would say they are 5/0 or 6/0 Gamakatsu.

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    shortbus - I never had the double hooking problem. I use the Eagle Claw Kahle hooks , usually in a size 7/0. I think the design of this hook style prevents the likelihood of double hooking occurring.

14. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Out of every single hook I have ever used the Gamakatsu 4x octopus hooks are the best, I have had 100% hook sets out of the last 15 fish that bit in the last couple weeks. I will never get any other kind of hooks, it seems like they are strong enough to tow a truck with.

15. Catfight

Catfight New Member

State:
    Summerfield N.C.
    If I'm fishing from the bank and need to cast a gill a long way I'll hook him through the lips. Don't seem to sling as many off this way. I love a good Catfight! :cool:

16. highwayman582004

highwayman582004 New Member

im pretty new to river fishing for flats. will the bait not live longer in moving water hooked through the lips?

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Where I hook a good sized baitfish, such as a bream, depends on the situation, and what I want the baitfish to do.
    Obviously, in a strong current, or when you're casting a long way, you need to hook the baitfish in the mouth, or through the eyes. If I have trouble with the baitfish coming off when hooked through the eyes, I put the hook in one eye, then bring the point out halfway between the eyes where there is some bone to hold the hook in place.
    When there isn't a strong current, and I'm fishing on the bottom, I hook the bream through the bottom of the tail, just in front of the tail fin. This causes the bream to swim up from the bottom, letting catfish locate it better.
    When fishing below a float, or when using a limbline, I hook the bream on top. If I want the bream to mostly swim around at a particular level, I hook it right in front of the dorsal fin. However, if I'm trying to get the bream to swim down, I hook it through the top of the tail, just in front of the tail fin.

18. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I poke there eyes out with the hook.

19. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    I hook below and behind the dorsel fin on the lakes, and through the lips in the rivers with moderate current. The only exception to this is when I use goldfish (only on the lakes) I hook them right at the beginning of the tail (old timer showed me that). I have tried different setups and this is what works best for me.

20. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I hook chubs right behind the dorsal fin then I will cut a few small slashes on their sides so they bleed a little.