How to hook live bait for Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catmandosimpsonville, Jul 1, 2009.

1. catmandosimpsonville

catmandosimpsonville New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I am new to the Flat Head fishing. Mostly fish for Blues and channels.
    I have access to bream, perch and what ever live baits, but... what is the best way to hook the bait?
    Jim

2. hereflattieflattie

hereflattieflattie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have had good luck with hooking them thru the lips in stronger current and thru the back about a 1/2 inch before the tail if it is slack water. Just make sure you have plenty of hook exposed.

3. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    I agree with Steve. If you hook them in the tail usually you will kill them or at least take alot of life out of them when you reel them in due to dragging them backward thru the water. Usually when this happens I will cut the tail end off exposing the guts and fish with it.

4. catmandosimpsonville

State:
    South Carolina
    I assume hooking in the back is for the bream, is perch hooked the same?

5. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    really there's no wrong way to hook them but personally I hook my bait depending on the current I'm fishin, if it's a fast current I hook them through the lips because they seem to stay alive longer but if I'm fishin slack water I like to hook them through the back as you mentioned. that's also my favorite way to hook them whenever possible because no matter if they're biting the head or the tail my hook is close by somewhere

6. catmandosimpsonville

State:
    South Carolina
    THANKS Moby,

I am headed down to Santee this weekend, so I am gonna give the Flats a try. WIll be my first time NOT fishing for Blues!! Wish me luck!!!:cool2:

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i normally don't fish in heavy current so most my baits(sunnies,gills) are hooked near the tail just above the anal fin making sure not to hit the spine and killing them, in current thru the lip keeps them alive longer:wink:

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i think as long as you hook them in the back somewere from the top or te fin to the back it doesnot matter however i like to hooke them right infront of the dorsal fin since the flathead always takes the bait head firs, i think the further back you go the less chance of a hooset, thats my thinking im probly wrong lol but it makes sense, the biggest issiue is to have that hook exposed and to not hook the bait more than a qwarer of an inch down, if you got to wing it , you might go half inch, wich i do, in my new hole