How to hook a crawfish for catfish bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Scott Graves, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Scott Graves

Scott Graves New Member

I'm fairly new at this. Could someone tell me the proper way to hook a crawfish??? They just will not hang on with there claws!!!!!

2. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Try using a sliding bobber with no weight or just a split shot keeping him from reaching bottom completly, I like the smaller crawfish for bait I hook them in the tail up by the body so they can swim really good. If your casting on the bottom the lead might rip the bait off, try a lighter weight and cast softly.

3. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    i like to pull there claws off

4. captain5214

captain5214 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    i pull the claws off and pinch the nose off.....also use light weights let the crawfish crawl around. hope this helps charlie r

5. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I do the same. Never tried fishing them off of a float. Good idea!!

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    heres the best way.Take a rubberband and wrap it around the crawl tight then slip your hook through the rubber band along the top and get ready.They live longer this way and they can still move around and do there thing.

7. johnstone460

johnstone460 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Brinley45cal what size hockes do you use when you use your rubberbands?

8. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Always Pulled Off The Claws And Hooked Them Through The Tail, But The Rubberband Method Sounds Like A Good Idea.

9. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    I leave the claws on. To me, catfish eat them that way and they look bigger. I start at the tail, run the hook in as deep as it will go, then pull it out and go right back in the same hole.( stitch him on ) Try to do this until the hook comes out right between the eyes. Roll the hook up over the back. Pull the line back till the hook is tight to the nose, right between the eyes. This will allow the hook to set up above the head. You can cast him as hard as you want.

10. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Flat muddy bottom, I hook them through the underside of the tail, and use some shot to get them down to the bottom so they can walk around. If I'm fishing snags, and still want them alive, I hook them through just the back of the back shell and use enough weight to anchor them. This makes them stay in one place, but they flip their tails and move their legs to get attention. I always leave the claws on.
    Drifting with a bobber I again hook them through just the back shell so that they can still kick their tails and swim in circles.I use just enough shot to hold the depth I set. Keep the depth to within a foot or so from the bottom.

BILL

11. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    I dont use gigantic hooks but i use 3/0 or 4/0 circles or 2/0 or 3/0 kahle hooks.most of the time i use kahle hooks cause they are my favorite and tend to hook more fish with them.

12. johnstone460

johnstone460 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks brinley45cal, Ive hocked them about anyway you can think of through the body. I cant wait to try this, keeping your bait alive longer to me means more chances to get a fish on. And we all love to say FISH ON!!

13. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Im with ya there brother.I hope the setup works out for you,it sure keeps them alive alot longer then putting a hook in them thats for sure.Let me know how it works for ya.

14. muskie_hunter

muskie_hunter New Member

State:
    New Martinsville, WV
    i never remove the pinchers and also just hook them through the underside of the tail, this time of year.... if you have sheephead (fresh water drum), where u fish, be ready for some fast action cause they'll eat every dad you got, before any cats can find them. the sheephead get pretty big here and are a blast to catch! goodluck crawdads are great bait.

15. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    I have always hook them in the tail and let them run:)

16. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I hook mine through the tail... 3rd or 4th section from the end... as far as the pinchers go i usually leave mine on and just smash it slightly with a pair of pliers so that the juices seep out slowly... seems to work fairly well... nothing too big but they are fish

17. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I usually hook my mudbugs according to how hard the fish are biting. If they're hiting hard I just hook them through the tail, but if they're just tapping at it I will hook them through the tail and out to the back of their head. I usually don't break the pinchers of unless it's a big ol' mean one.

18. mudkat

mudkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    if you look at the end of the tail there is a little hole(his butt hole)i shove the hook up thru and around out by their little legs. then lay them on the ground and step on them.not enough to kill it! but just tell you here a crack so then he wont move as fast. then i use a smaller sinker on with. hope this helps ya

19. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    My favorite method is to drop them in a pot of briskly boiling salted water and remove them promptly when they turn red... Yum!:rolleyes:

20. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I read a research article and fish prefer no claws. Some have battled large crawdads and understand the power of the claws. In the study the fish hit the no claws first and then the one claw and finally the clawed. Perhaps getting your mouth nailed teaches you to look for the easiest to swallow meal.