Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

How to hook a Bullhead on a trotline?

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  JEFFRODAMIS 
#1 ·
I have some bullhead that I will be using for trotline bait tonight. These guys range from 1/2-3/4 lb. I use 4/0 circle hooks.

How do you hook them? I am thinking either through the mouth or behind the dorsal fin. I think if I put it through the eyes, there wouldn't be enough hook exposed.

Also, do you remove the fins on the side that sting?

#2 ·
No one answered so I experimented. I hooked some through the mouth and some right behind the dorsal fin.

All stayed on the line but the ones with iin thier mouth had the hook twisted sometimes so that it would have been hard to hook a flattie.

I caught one 12lb flathead on a 3/4 lb Bullhead hooked that was hooked behind the dorsal fin.

If anyone else has a better place to hook them then let me know.

#3 ·
In the past i have hooked them just behind the dorsal fin and we usually do cut off the poky parts. i have seen them hooked in both the eyes and the mouth and seen them catch fish both ways..i think you should go with what you feel msot confident in..ive always been confident on gills to hook them behind the dorsal so thats how i hook bulls.. my 2 cents

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.