How to hook a bass for flatheads?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by alpal16, Oct 1, 2008.

1. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Hey Guys.

What is the best way to hook a bass for fishing for flatheads? I got a nice size one that I want to try. Should I go through the lips/nostrals or go for the back fin (or anywhere else?). THanks for any suggestions.

2. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I would hook it the same way you hook everything else. I hook bait in the meat of the tail behind the but on the bottom side.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    like anything else. but i dont use them. illegal in illinois.

4. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    i've found that bass live the best hooked through the gristle around their nostril area......i've hookem em just through the soft part of their lip, and had a good take down and it was ripped right off the hook. Crappie don't stay alive for me at all fishing them on the bottom, they work good on a float though

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Cut his head off and use the head, thats what I do!

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hook all my bass from the bottom of the lip, up through one nostril. They seem to be ok this way, and it presents a good hooking oportunity when the flathead takes the bait often head first! I have also hooked them below the dorsel, and have had 50-50 results with that, but I can see how a longer bait can be a problem hooking back into the bait this way... rollo

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Hook them up the bottom lip through their nostrils.

Bass are great bait.

Most of the bigger fish I get are on bass.

8. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Thanks guys---I will see if it will get me a biggun tonight!!:cool2:

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    watch your regs like Jeremy said! in indiana it has to be at least 12 in. to use it for bait in a river. cant tell you how to hookum i dont use baits that large.

10. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    In cali its a big no no.Cant even use blue gills in most of the state.

11. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    In TEXAS,That would land you in jail. BIG NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sorry you live in Texas :roll_eyes::big_smile::eek:oooh:

yall missin out on a good bait! rollo

But your state does show some good bass tournaments on ESPN! LMAO!

13. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I hate the bass tournaments. I am putting a cat tournament on this weekend. It's funny,some folks bait are game fish here. Crappie,bass,and ??? Crappie ain't bait,thats good eating.

14. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    there's a slot limit on the bass on my lake, so anything that's not inbetween 10-14 inches is a keeper, i think that's the slot anyway. As long as a fish is a "keeper" fish, and you catch it by legal means you can do what you want with it right? I've caught my last couple big fish on bass, real good bait!

15. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Reckon it would be ok to use the head from a keeper sized bass whose meat is in your freezer and use the head as cut bait in TX?

16. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  17. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Thanks Griz. What an interesting technicality. I suppose it's in place to stop folks from just using game fish as cut bait all together but would be nice to use the parts you aren't going to eat. Seen plenty of folks use catfish guts as bream bait in traps. Wonder if they realize that's illegal by the letter of the law beings catfish are gamefish here.

18. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Here in Kansas it's legal to use ANY sportfish or its parts...as long as it was taken by legal means, and meets length and creel limits.

Now...ya can't use a throw net...a seine...or traps to take sportfish....but you can use all of those methods to take baitfish. (Bluegills, sunfish, minnows, chubs, shad, rough fish, ect.)

For the sportfish...such as bass, crappie, trout, spoonbill, fill in the blank, that amounts to catching them with rod/reel...or by setline where legal.

We routinely use trout caught on rod and reel for big channel cats in some local strip pits...and do very well.

However... We've tried the trout in the river where they are non-native...both as bait and as chum...but with only marginal and very limited success.

Same as anywhere else I guess. Gotta match the hatch for success where you're fishin'. :cool2: