how to handle people following you to a spot

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by x smokin joe, Jul 9, 2008.

1. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Last saturday night we went to the Maumee to fish. Since it was 4th of july weekend I knew there would more people there fishing and would have to be carefull where we set up at. about half an hour before sunset we setup on a spot that once in a while produces fish but is not that good a spot. Sure enough about 15 min after sunset here comes a pontoon boat and anchors about 50 yards from us. Did they come there because they saw us there or were they heading there anyway? Hard to tell but I'm sure getting more protective of my spots, which is why I choose a maybe spot in the daylight. Afterabout 45 more minutes of sitting there we turned off all the lights and oared away from there to where I could run my nice quiet little 2 horse motor and moved to a lot better spot since we couldn't be seen anymore.
    My point is don't be afraid to lead the lurkers and lazy people to bad spots and then sneak out and leave em.

2. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    Hey I was wondering where you went!!!Just joking:wink: good move.

3. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    if i am not in a tournament i really don't care if people follow any more. the lake and bay are public water and they really have the same right to the water as i do. i have learned to figure out which boats are guides and do watch them. there are lots of fish in the water in most locations. all i ask is that people drift up if they want to fish close. if they run their motor over my fishing area i will remember the boat and get even later.

4. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Ya it is public water and there are lots of fish. However do you let a guy you don't know follow you to work and take half your paycheck? If you do the work of locating a spot then why should the follower reap the benifits?

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I don't worry about it too much. Fishing is my relaxing time and I will not let something like this get me heated........................my old boat will provide plenty of reasons for that. :smile2:

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I had something like this happen to me at Buckeye lake last year. I was sitting there with my family and casting out (actually casting pretty good LOL), and this guy in a boat with a little kid and his wife I assume set up not too far from where I was casting at. I dont think he was trying to steal a spot (since Buckeye is such a great lake LOL) I think he was just trying to teach the kid how to fish a little. I was pretty agravated and kept casting pretty close to his boat just to let him know that hey your a little close. I think my snide comments didnt hurt either about how big the lake is and how you have a boat and can move a whole lot easier than I can. He eventually moved.

Now Im not the best caster with my 6500's but Ill take what I can get. If I wasnt with my family and with myself or other fishing peeps I would probably quit fishing and try to hit one of the toons with my sinker :smile2: until they left

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Joe, try this. wait till after dark. Turn your back to them and make a commotion like you are catching a big one. Take a few pic's with flash. Brag how big it is, 48 pounder! then make a big splash as you pretend to put it back. The guy will keep coming to that spot and never fish any where else! lol:smile2::eek:oooh::crazy: Oh yeah, if you see him there first act dissapointed..:wink:

8. Jaylake_21

Jaylake_21 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ive never had anybody follow me to a spot when fishing from my boat. I have however, been bank fishing, and have had jet ski's and skiers want to play where im fishing. The lake was plenty big, and there was much better places for them to do that. I actually had a guy fall off of his jet ski maybe 20 foot out from the bank where i was fishing at. I did what any angry fisherman would have done, I started casting at him. Only problem is, I hit him. After he got the hook out, and I apologized, I went home and felt miserable about acting like a mad man. Yes, the lake was plenty big enough, and yes, he could have found another spot. But what would have happened if i would have hooked his eye or something? I fish to relax, and after that ordeal, I will gladly find another spot to fish at if that happens again. Im sure after that ordeal, he doesnt like fisherman anymore.

People may make you mad, but only you can make yourself look like a J@ck@$$. :sad2:

9. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Good one, next time I'll throw that in before I sneak away.:smile2:

10. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i think that would mostly apply to people who make thier "paycheck" off of fishing!!! He is only "stealing your spot & your money if you are profiting from it"!!!:wink::eek:oooh:

11. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I didn't say anything about stealing my spot or my money. The example I gave was someone else benifitting from my hard work, whether it's following me to work or a fishing spot, they still get the benifits.
    I don't own those spots but I spend a lot of time to find them. Why should some guy who wants to be lazy and follow others reap the rewards?
    Ask the guys I've met on here, we go to spots that we find together, or a real common spot that sees a lot of fisherman, not my hottest spots. Those are reserved for the people that found them with me or I am by myself.
    And about those common spots, I have seen 15-20 people come and go from those spots in a night, none staying longer than an hour. Usually by 1 in the morn they are all gone. That's laziness. Finding the spots takes more time than an hour a weekend. And I have caught many fish after they have all left.

12. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    chances are if they are lazy enuff to follow someone to "their" spot and try & fish it they wont know how to fish it anyway, i wouldnt worry about it too much, just do as you have been, come back when they leave & fish the way you know how & catch them elusive fish !!!:wink:

13. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    nobody has the right to cry about a spot on public waters.chances are your spot is already someones else's spot to. i'm gonna fish where i know the catfish are during the time of year its is. if you found a good catfish spot because of all the fallin timber there dont you think other people might be smart enough to figure that out as well. alot of people like myself that fish for catfish know alot about catfish and tend to fish area's they think will be the most productive. my area of the the ohio on a saturday night is packed to the house there are about 4 or 5 boats at every creek mouth and warmwater discharge,30ft hole and sandbars on a tourny night you have to expect that. if you dont like it move to another spot or deal with it. now i know some people push it to the limit and set up shop 10ft from you and cast everywitch way they can. there isn't much you can do but get pissed off or move. no sense in fishing all night not happy,isn't the fun of being a catchaser the abilty you have to learn about finding fish? i dont mean to make anybody mad here just saying what i feel

14. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Joe you may have found the spot yourself but you are not the only catfishermen in Ohio. Maybe the guy that pulled up to fish his favorite spot was mad you might have seen him there before and got there first. As long as they were not right up on you just relax a bit, a stretch of river only has so many good spots for cats. I would have talked to them a bit while I fished maybe learn a spot I didn't know.:big_smile:

15. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Follow me to My fishing Spots???? Yep but only once or twice LOL (SKUNK CITY Turkeys) cause thats what My spots produce (Nodda,Nothing) in fact My spots are SO Bad that the Iowa DNR publishes them on there weekly fishing site as the Most Recommended places NOT to Fish!!! It was Tough getting to the Top of the heap but well worth it.:wink: J.D.

16. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    I THINK IF YOU FIND A GOOD FISHING HOLE THAT YOU MIGHT WANT TO KEEP UNDER THE RADAR YOU SHOULD BE DISCRETE WHEN FISHING IT. THIS WOULD HELP KEEP OTHER CATTERS OFF OF IT, BUT ON PUBLIC WATERS THAT'S ALWAYS GOING TO BE A PROBLEM. THERE ARE ALOT OF CATTERS ON THE MAUMEE, A FEW OF WHICH ARE HARDCORE FLATHEAD FISHERMEN THAT ARE WILLING TO PUT IN THE TIME TO LOCATE VERY PRODUCTIVE SPOTS. EVEN ON WELL FISHED BANK AREAS I'VE NOTICED THAT A GOOD PORTION OF THE CATFISHERMEN DON'T KNOW HOW TO TARGET FLATHEADS, AND SOME DON'T EVEN KNOW THEY ARE THERE.
    THE BEST THING WE CAN DO IS PREACH CPR, THAT WAY NO FISH ARE GETTING KILLED FROM OUR BEST HONEY HOLES IF WE CAUGHT THEM OR SOMEONE ELSE DID. IT SURE DOES SUCKS TO PULL UP TO "YOUR" SPOT AND SEE SOMEONE ELSE SITTING THERE!

17. Powerman2442

Powerman2442 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If they are close enough to ease drop on my convo with whomever I am fishing with. I say something along the lines of... last week I caught a big 28 inch cat over there <points>.:wink:

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'll throw in with tufffish on this one. It IS public water, and I don't own the fish. Far as them getting half my paycheck... well, that is not public waters. LOL. May stick a gun in my face and get all of it though. ROTFLMAO

19. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Somehow this got turned from what i thought was a humorous story about losing someone who was FOLLOWING me to people thinking i was bitching about others fishing in my spots. I got no problem with other people fishing where i fish, i do have a problem with people who FOLLOW me to my spots.
    why don't all of you that been giving me crap give gps coordinates to every place you fish.
    come on i want em. they are public spots most of em so give em up.

20. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    silence is golden when fishing sweet spots rick