How to get winter bait

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by catman529, Oct 17, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    How do you harvest shad in the winter without freezing your butt off? My hands get real cold when I fish in the winter and throwing a net would soak gloves and make it worse. I dont want store bought bait so any suggestions?

ps never been blue catfishing before but I am planning to this winter

2. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    2 things that I would suggest. 1 get some of those heat packs, and put one in your pockets. Then throw your net a few times and put your hands in your pocket to reheat them. Sure you hands will be cold when you throw a few times but you can reheat them.

2 you can try a few pieces of equipment to help out. Buy some latex medical gloves. You will still feel the cold, but they wont get wet. And wetness causes the really deep cold feeling you get while catching bait in the winter. Other options would be to buy some gloves ment to clean the kitchen with. The thick rubber gloves. Also I take a trash bag, cut a hole for my head and arms and put it on so my clothes dont get wet.

One other thing, you can stock up on bait, and freeze it. I perfer fresh bait but sometimes we use frozen when we have no choice.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I'm thinking of buying a pair of neoprene gloves to use while throwing the cast net. They're just a little high-dollar for no more than I'd be using them, but if it'll keep my hands dry and warm, it's worth the money.

I use the chemical hand warmer packets for regular fishing - I have some combination mittens/gloves - the mitten can be pulled back and you have fingerless gloves. The hand warmer packet stays in the mitten part and seems to work well - unless I'm reeling or casting, my fingers are covered and warm.

4. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
  5. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I keep several pairs of those cheap brown gloves in my boat all the time during cold weather, when the pair I have on gets wet I just grab a dry pair. I've got some neoprene gloves that are waterproof but they are kind of bulky and I don't use them too often. I've heard the seal skins are really the best for cold and wet conditions but they are expensive and I've never tried them. Lots of duck hunters use em.

6. shadcat

shadcat New Member

State:
    Marthasville Mo.
    Seal skins are the best i have tried neoprene and their a little bulky.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR

Clovis, Thanks for the info. I ordered a pair of the chill blockers and will give them a try:smile2: .

8. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga

yup- fly fishing in the winter, my hands get wet a LOT , these are the way to go

9. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I use the same thing i do every other time i go out bait collecting to stay dry... a rain slicker bib and jacket... As for keeping your hands dry and warm, latex gloves will help a little... just take a break from it when your hands get cold and use those hand/foot warmers... Hopefully you won't have to stand there throwing a net for 3 hrs to get 2 pieces of bait and you'll be able to collect alot of them in very little time at all so you won't get chilled to the bone...

10. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Do you have an power plant discharges on the waters you fished? On the section of the river i fish there is a discharge pool and it is just black with shad, they are in there by the millions. One throw and I have plenty of bait for the day. So i throw the net once while it is dry and I am done. No getting wet. This is the best solution and works great :big_smile:

11. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I just purchase my herring live from a bait shop on my way fishing in the winter alot quicker and warmer.

12. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Right there with you Ronald, we got it EASY. LOL, just kidding guys.... but seriously.

13. matt_k_a

matt_k_a New Member

State:
    texas
    put latex gloves on over your gloves to keep them from getting wet so your hands dont get cold