how to get tiny flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by richmondherperman, Oct 17, 2008.

1. richmondherperman

richmondherperman New Member

State:
    va
    I want a flathead for my gamefish tank i have a blue,chanel and bullhead i have seen people get them on worms.

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I would use worms or crawdads.

3. BIGCATFISHDAN

BIGCATFISHDAN New Member

State:
    texas
    WHEN I GO AFTER MY BAIT I USE A SUPERSPEADER 7 FT DIA NET. FIRST ILL THROW A CHUMBAG ABOUT OH 10-15FT FROM SHORE. THEN I WAIT ABOUT 30 MIN, LET THAT CHUM GET ALL THE LITTLE FISH AROUND IT. THEN WITH PERCISION I THROW MY NET ONTOP OF THAT CHUM BAG AND I USUALLY GET ALL DIFF KINDS OF FISH IN IT IVE EVEN GOT EELS BEFORE

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Small pieces of worms works great

5. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I would use worms. Has anyone ever tried to use small Flatheads as bait?

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Worms do work, but on the river I fish.. the small channels steal the worms usually before the flats have a chance.. I have caught some in early spring using small shiners in the 2-4 inch range fishing for smallies and hybrid bass... The little flats seem to hit livebait, but must be scared of the 6-8 inch baits still:smile2: rollo

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Yes, and they don't work.

Let em go so they can turn into monsters.

8. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I catch a lot of them when I am using leeches spawn fishing for channels bouncing them over the rock banks about 2 foot deep.

9. willybob

willybob New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I've caught 5 inch flatheads on cut shad a few times but I doubt it would
    easy to just catch tiny flatheads.

10. richmondherperman

State:
    va
    Well i saw some people fishing with worms during the day that got tons of blue gill and one cat and told me they get them all the time.

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Very interesting, Not normal to read about someone targeting SMALL flatheads:smile2:

12. IaCAT

IaCAT New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would agree with nightcrawlers if you can keep the bait stealer's away. I've caught small ones on crawlers several times. Heck, my PB was caught on a nice juicy nightcrawler.

13. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I wouldn't put a little flat head int eh tank with anything.I caught one once in y cast net about 3 inches long.I took him home and put him in a 100 gal goldfish tank with goldfish about 6 to 8 inches long that we have had for years and 2 channels that were about 2 to3 inches long.My wife woke me up the next morning and told me to get that fish out of the tank.I went in the living room and all of my goldfish's ails were gone and one was missing an eye.My wife has had these goldfish for a very long time and she was not happy.I took the flathead and channel and put them in a seperate tank about 30 gallons.Two days later he killed the first channel and a day later he bit the other one in half.So I took him back to the lake where I got him from and stuck him back in there.So I wouldn't put a flathead in a tank and they belong in the wild those kind of eating machines even one that small needs to have alot of room and plenty of food.

14. richmondherperman

State:
    va
    Tell me about it i have bin keeping wild fish for years. And NEVER EVER put wild animals with captive animals the goldfish would have died anyway. But i know how to work with game fish (bass,catfish,etc) they will bully the other fish in the tank regardless of the tank size the only loop hole is to put only game fish in the tank and the fish that are more likly to eat it's room mates. I will be getting a 750 gal and put a 10 pounder in that.

15. BIGCATFISHDAN

BIGCATFISHDAN New Member

State:
    texas
    YOU CAN ALSO FIND A SHALLOW STREAM THAT COMES OFF A LAKE AND TURN THE BIG ROCKS OVER I SEE THEM ALL THE TIME WHEN IM CRAWDAD HUNTIN

16. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    use nightcrawlers rick

17. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I personally can't believe this post is still around and near the top even :roll_eyes:. Who in the Hell wants to catch tiny catfish?????????????????????????????????????????

Whoever does come fish where I fish.

18. Tunastick

Tunastick New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    while catching bream for bait next to rocky banks I have caught several tiny flatheads in the 4" to 6" range on small pieces of redworms

19. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Well, if you've never kept a flathead then you've never kept a flathead. A friend of mine put one in his tank along with pigmy sunfish and bluespot sunfish. He also had a little bowfin in there and after the flathead was put in there it killed everything. Flatheads don't belong in a tank unless it's by themselves. I've had a South American look a like and it did the same thing. Unless the other fish kept themselves at the top of the tank they were goners.

20. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    nightcrawlers use them rick