How to get shad out of my pond

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Kat-addict, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hi everyone, I have a dilema on my hands. Back in the spring I put some left over shad we had in the bait tank in our pond here and thought it would be some good food for the cats in the pond. I probably didn't put more than 20 in. Now I have about 500 or so about an inch long cruising at dusk. So much for the cats eating them all. We want them outta there. Anybody have any ideas? I cast netted some about a month ago and thought I had them down enough that the bass and cats would get em all but apparently they didn't. I am hoping to here of a medicine I may be able to put in there to get JUST the shad. Thanks....Randy

2. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    I would like to know also? maybe a 40# flat would be the cure

3. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    Winter kill will get rid of lots of them for you. Just hope for a long cold spell.

4. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    Old man winter should take care of most of them. How big and deep is the pond?

5. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    In the hottest part of the year..which may be gone hopefully, when the oxygen is very low you can put rotenone in there, It will starve the shad from oxygen but will not kill any other fish..unless you real put in waaay too much.. Its a almost guarantee cure..

6. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I thought that rotenone would kill all fish.Just what i have heard.:confused2:

7. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    [​IMG]
    Here is a pic of the pond. It used to be about 3 feet deep and the sides were washing in pretty bad. Right towards the swimming pool...lol. We dug it out and dumped riprap around the edges 2 years ago. I'd say the average depth is 6-7 feet and its about 75'X225'. It's real nice to just walk outside and cast out a line for a while and not far home when it's time to quit ! My parents wear it out...lol. Hope the pic works !

8. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    I doubt you will have any shad left after the winter.

9. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    a couple big flatties should cure your problem just right.:big_smile:

10. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

use a smelt dipping net will catch every fish in that pond i one day gaurentee it. ive used them to control blue gill pops. in friends pond you can honestly catch every fish ing the pond.smelt nets are aprox.30 feet long a pole on each end with floats on the top of the net,and weights on the bottom of the net that drag along the bottom, just walk throught the water with a buddy helping one pole for each guy and just walk along in the water draging the net torwards the shallows you can surround them with the net if they stay in a small school....good luck.....

11. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks for all the input guys. I will let ya know what I get done. I'm thinking of trying a huge fine screen dip net ,cantilevered off the dock ,with a light at night. I can hold the light untill they are there and then flip the net up and get em that way....let ya know if it works.....Thanks again...Randy

12. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    good luck with getting rid of the shad. One of the local pay pits won't even let folks bring shad in anymore cause they had to drain one of the ponds cause a guy did just what you did and they overran the pond. This is one that is plum full of blues and flatties. Like i said, they ended up having to drain the pond and just get them all out that way.

13. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Find some big Wipers/Saugeye to put in there as these are Hybrid and can't reproduce so and they will take care of what winter Kill dos'nt.

14. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    sounds to me like u got a good problem!!! a nice fishing spot close by & bait before u go fishing away from the house!!!

15. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    We have this same problem in a 25 acre private lake, we paid a biologists to shock and net the shad for samples (we have shad over 16 inches long in there now, the winters dont kill them either..) he left us a 5 gallon pail of rotenone and specifically said to use it during the the hottest part of the year when the oxygen level is the lowest. Rotenone actually takes the oxygen from the water, its not a posion per say. shad will die at a drop of the hat anyway so his recommendation was to use it very sparingly just enough to kill the shad but none of the bass cats crappie of bluegill.. If you put in too much it will kill everything. hope this helps..

16. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Randy, I can't see as you have a real problem. Shad are alge feeders. They don't compete with fry of other species ( or I may be wrong). If you think they are overtaking the pond you need to add some more predators to the mix. Bass, gills, channels, maybe a flathead or two and some crappie. We have some resivors out in the sticks around here with shad in them and you will be hard pressed to ever net one. It may be that you have an over abundance of alge in the pond that aids recuitment of small shad and not enough predators. But give it a couple years and you should see a lot of bigger bass and cats. And when the alge gets eaten by the shad their population will drop off drastically. Especially in the winter, when only the hardy survive.

17. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

IM not kidding when i say this.my buddy had a blue gill prob. in his pond we would take reminton nitro mag. steel shot #6-8 is perfect, wed bait the gills to the top with bread and kaboooom, atleast 15-20 per shot and the funny thing is it did not really scare the fish they would all come back in 30 seconds, and i believe over half the dead fish were not even hit with the bbs just the concusiion alone whipes em right out also heavy duty fire crackers will work to, a concusion under water is quite powerful....P.S we used 12 gauges....

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Mickey, you just aint right LOL.

19. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    Mickey...were on the same page !! lol I tried a bright light at night with throw net ready and I swear, they didn't even come close to the light. I can throw net them but only get a 10 or so at a time.

I personally don't care if there in there or not,but my mom and dad are out there fishin and not doing so good and are blaming me because they think the fish arn't hungry !! They could have a point ! Why eat a hot dog when there's a 1000 shad on the surface every evening ?

My next try will be a 12 gauge with #9 shot. I had thought of that the other day and now it is confirmed from crazy mickey that it will work..lol.

We have gotten almost 3 inches of rain here today. We have had none for around 6-7 weeks. The pond was about a foot and a half low. I hope that this dosn't keep the shad from coming to the top so I can try and blasting some !! I will let ya know how the shotgun does !!