How to get my wife more interested in fishing?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by TA2D, Jul 16, 2006.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    How in the heck do I do this? She has gone before and seemed to enjoy herself, but not as much as I do, I have more fun watching her or the boys fish and when they are there I don't feel the need to fish... as much. Any advice on this would be great.

Aaron

TA2D

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I can only get mine to go on ocassion. I try to do everything for her bait hooks get fish off retie lines and so on. Try not to laugh, ridicule are make her do anything she doesn't want to do and always leave when she is ready to go. I started with these things and had a couple of hour long trips now I can get her to go camping baiting her own hook and even taking bream off the hooks without my help. She is proud of what she can do now but still doesn't like sitting for hours on end waiting for a bite. I hope this gets you started, it was all trail and error for me and I am still working on it 14 years later.

3. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Hey bro, I'll watch the boys one day when I get back. You and the wife have a picnic and go fishing for awhile. She may just want to get away from the kids a bit, get some hubby time only. :wink:

SudDawg

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Buy her a "Days of our Lives" fishing pole. LMAO

Just keep at it brother, tell her you enjoy that time away from the stress of life on the water. Just ask her nicely, that is the best approach.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Aaron my wife use to go with me every once in a blue moon. About 3 years ago she and I decided to go one sat and I took her catfishing because she doesn't like to cast and retreive alot. Well I read a bunch of fish at about 25 feet next to some logs and figured it was cats. I set her up on those with some good bait and she boated 7 ---4 and 5 lbs cats. She wants to go now every time the boat is hooked up. Just have patience she will either want to fish or she won't.

6. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I agree with bubbakat, you need to get her out there on a "premium" night!
    I know lots of folks who don't really like fishing. They have been a few times and did not catch anything to speak of. All they remember is a lot of work with no results.
    On the other hand, people who get into a bunch of fish or a big one always seem to have good memories of fishing and it don't take much to get them out on the water.

7. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    My wife goes nearly every weekend with me, even fishes some small tournements, I got her stuff just for her,and bait her hook, take off the fish, and fix her line when she gets hung up. We take food and drinks and she likes to listen to the radio and doesn't turn it up loud, and oh yea I always take her out to eat so when we get home she doesn't have to fix anything, just sit back and relax, like me. Hope this helps, it works for me, and oh yea ALWAYS, ALWAYS, thank her for going with you even if it was a bad day, tell her it was fun being with her even if the fish didn't bite.

8. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Aaron,fishing isn't everyone's cup of tea.When she does go make sure she catches fish.Waiting on that bite could be what she doesn't like.Main thing is to invite her, but don't try to force it on her.Who knows she will probably get to the point that you can't go without her.My wife fishes and hunts with me,I might go fishing without her but, she won't let me go to the deer woods without her... :big_smile:

9. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Stragicly place a few long blonde hairs on your fish shirt and let nature take its course

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    One night of fishing & a 20# Flathead changed everything for my wife. In fact she's been down right annoying about it. Always wanting to catfish, nothing else is good enough. She doesnt want to go out to a nice dinner & a movie. She wants to go catfishing. Man, I tell ya..... :lol: :big_smile:

I'll tell Jenny about this thread, maybe she can add some womanlu advice.

11. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I would keep pushing or forcing her to go ask her and tell her you would like to see her go she says no drop it and leave it at that. you start to beg push etc she will resent it and then it will be more issues from it. the other thing you can do is just find a women who likes to fish as much as you do. I gave my wife my tracker and I have the new ranger so now she has her new pickup her own boat she can go when I dont want to.

12. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    My wife hates to fish. She goes once every few years.When she does go she lays on the bass boat deck to get sun and read a book. I ask her every time I go. Some people just don't like to go. I hate to be the barer of bad news. Keep asking her.
    Bill

13. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I just took mine to a spot where the bluegills all seem to get big, and they seem to bit every 5 or 10 minutes...Took her for about an hour and a half and she caught about 15 bluegills...She had a blast..Just took her yesterday and bought her her own pole..She picked out the zebco 33 classic..LOL...I got a few big cat rods im going to give her when we go down to the big river...

14. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Leave the boys @ home and make it a date nite!!!!!!!!

:beauty:

15. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    act like you don't want her to go....lol...worked with mine

ok for real...mine has just started going with me and on her first night she cought her largest fish ever so if you can ..take her when they are biting real good and she if she can hook into her personal best

16. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thanks guys I know that she has had fun before, I wasn't paying attention one day and she had to reel in one of my rods with a 3-4 lb channel on it. I think that she would go to the local lake more willingly than to the river, she cannot do without "modern convienences".

Aaron

TA2D

17. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'd say don't push her too hard. They always seem to do the opposite when you push them. If she got a huge fish on her line that wouldnt hurt either.

18. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    Everytime I load the truck, my wife is the first there. She loves to fish and this is where we spend alot of time talking. With my job and all the travel I do this is really the only time we get to be together without the kids. It is like a date for us and we really have a good time. She has her on gear to include the same cat rigs I have. She will outfish me everytime. The one thing that keeps us going is the time we get to spend together. We also take the kids alot, we just have not taken them on a night trip yet.

19. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    fish naked... lol... just kiddin... but hey... it might work... lol

my fiance likes to go to the river every once in a while, but she doesn't like to stay out all night... i have her take her own car, and she uses all my stuff while we are there... if they aren't biting or if she gets tired or whatever, she just gives me a kiss and says she is going home... helps that he river is only 10 min. away... i have yet to get her to go to the lake with me for a night trip... she will also go to this pond here in town with me... they stock channels every month, so there are alot of little ones in there, and some big ones lurking around... i'll set up for the big ones, and i'll set her up for the little ones, she fishes the same spot every time... needless to say she has a blast catching those little ones all day, she has gotten to where she will bait her own hook, as long as its shrimp, and she will take her own fish off the hook... she says that channel cats are "pretty" and she likes to see them, specially when she catches them... and needless to say, i always try to set her up so that she will outfish me... it boosts her confidence that she can fish like a pro, and she has a blast doing it... it also helps that if every once in a while, you tell her that you are going to be fishing all weekend, and then one night out of the weekend, you just stay at home with her, it will let her know that she is more important to you than fishing, and after a while, she will want to go with you to spend more time with you.

hope this helps.

20. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Try to make it a good time, go when the fish are really biting, and plenty of action. Don't make her go if she doesn't want to. Planting long blonde hairs, leaving hairclips in the truck, used tube of lipstick, could make her want to keep you in sight. On the other hand she might come home with mens cologne on. Just love her for what she is. Good fishing. Jack. :smile2: