How to get more bites on cutbait?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CJ21, Nov 2, 2009.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am wondering what is the best way to get more bites on cutbait? everytime I use cutbait I dont seems to get any bites? I am wondering should I cut it in smaller chunks or fillet it?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Depends on whats in your waters. If you are gettin no bites at all I would suggest movein. You should be gettin some sort of attention if the fish are there. Smaller pieces in colder water works for me and ya can't go wrong with a fillet. Shake things up a bit and try different approaches. Give em hell CJ. :wink:

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston

That pretty much covers it...W

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with the above post and would suggest that you could add some Dead Red Blood Spray from Team Catfish, to enhance the bait.

5. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I'm going to agree,if your not getting bites,chances are the fish arn't there to find your bait,move around and locate the fish.

I do sometimes soak cutbait for a couple days in fish oil that I get from a trapping supply,this really works good on slow moving rivers to create a scent trail in the water to draw fish in,but if the fishing is slow I move to find active fish.

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Smaller strips can really improve the bite on some days and easily rake in 15+ lbers.:wink:

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    aaron your profile says 5#channel is your personal best???:eek:oooh: when did you rake in the 15#s congrats on the 15#s ...better update the profile... :wink:

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thanks guys!

9. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    One thing that is really nasty to do but seems to trigger some bits is to cut a fresh shad completely in half. I don't mean across the belly, like your going to fillet it but even cut through the head. Once you have a half fish sitting there bleeding all over everything with guts coming out bend it back over itself and hook it through the tale and head with the guts on the outside. You basically make a C with the fish inside out. It is disgusting and nasty and gets crap all over your boat but the blues can't seem to leave it alone. If you do this you will want to change your bait more often because the blood and guts will wash away faster.