How to get minnows & chubs, without a minnow trap?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by mazdabob, Mar 19, 2006.

1. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    Like the title says, how can I catch minnows and creek chubs without using a minnow trap?? After doing some research only licensed bait dealers can use minnow traps in Iowa.

2. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Chubs, small carp, warmouth, bluegills, and shiners can be caught on UL in creeks. Use wax worm, redworm, corn kernel, on a light wire hook. I prefer no weight, my son likes to use a small splitshot - we seem to do about equal. Find a deep hole in the shade, set up so you're just off bottom. Keep 'em in a bucket with an aerator. In hot weather, change the water frequently.

Dennis

3. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
  4. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    Well, now I don't know whats true. On the IDNR it states that only these methods can be used to gather bait
    # a minnow dip net - up to 4 feet in diameter
    # a cast net - up to 10 feet in diameter
    # a minnow seine - up to 20 feet in length with a mesh size of one-fourth-inch bar measure or larger.
    Then I started looking at the 2006 Fishing Regs. PDF for Iowa and it says you can use a trap.
    Anyone have any insight??

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ithink I would try a cast/thrownet in deeper water and get my buddy to help pull a sein in a shallow creek

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've taken two long hoe handles and wrapped the ends of a beds sheet around them. Spread the handles apart and let the sheet sink to the bottom in the shallow water and throw small pieces of bread over it.
    When you get a nice school of minnows feeding , raise the handles.

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like to fish for them, like Ol Whiskers and his son. You get the big ones that way. If you are in a hurry use a Minni seine. Even if you can use a trap, the big chubs and shiners cant fit through the hole, and what you catch will be small. I prefer bigger bait. ;)

8. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My understanding was you can use a minnow trap in Iowa. I hope so, I've been doing it for years. I wouldn't think they'd be for sale everywhere if they weren't legal. Fishing for chubs is also fun, but sometimes it takes awhile to catch enough. Seining also works, but really takes two people, and that water is mighty cold right now!

9. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i get my minnows by using a sein net. Chubs and other fish i use a castnet in the current of the river

10. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    if your not able to use a minnow trap, then i would also find a nice hole of water in a creek close to a road that dont look like there would be minnows in it and walk it a little ways till u come to a good hole and take a small pole, minnow/crappie hook and just enough worm to cover the "J" in the hook and give it a cast if the water is under 60* then i would say use dead-line method, if its 60*+ then i would try using a bobber/float... dont give them much time, until u set the hook, i have gone before and caught about 15 minnows on the same worm... seining works decent if u know how to do it right... me and my uncle have hit a few holes before and came up with about 250 LITTLE shinners/minnows..etc.. then we have done it before and got: Turtles, Catfish, Bass, Bluegill, Carp, Suckers, Snakes. Almost anything u can imagine in the water we have caught. Try these ways and u will have success. I rode around yesterday on the 4wheeler looking in the creeks for minnows so i could set a trap for this coming weekend and i didnt see the first one.. still a little cold.... I have seined before by myself when i was with my uncle just messing around when we were leaving and caught some nice suckers and yellow bellies... but BE SURE to keep the seign on the bottom at ALL times (unless bringing up to get off roots/rocks or getting ur catch) Good luck always :)