how to freeze your catch

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by river bum, Jun 25, 2009.

1. river bum

river bum New Member

State:
    va
    me and my friend went catfishing to day so before we go we always stop at this little pond to catch bait. well my first bluegill was about 9 inches most of the time we use small ones in the 3 to 5 inche range i figure this is just a fluke and throw him back . well about a hour later between the two of us wev got 50 huge blue gill we plane on eating some but want save the rest whats the best way to freeze them ?

2. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Best way I have found is to filet them up and freeze them in a ziplock baggie filled with water. They will last a long time this way, and taste fresher.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I freeze all my fish in ziplock freezer bags ,add about a teaspoon of salt and fill with water before freezing,they'll keep indefinately.:wink: Theres allways one bag that gets lost in the bottom of the freezer for a couple years,Tastes as good as fresh.

4. river bum

river bum New Member

State:
    va
    thanks for help:big_smile:

5. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Vaccum sealing is the way to go now. Food saver is what i have. Love it. Theres also a 'lil cheaper one that i forget who makes it but Babe winkleman advertises it on TV. The black and decker one i had and hated it.

Freezing with water in the bag works great. But does take up alot of room in the freezer and does make a mess if something should happen to it before it freezes..

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Love my Rival "Seal-a-Meal". It was less expensive than the Foodsaver Brand, but does the trick fine. I always had problems with freezer burn before, but not anymore.

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I use a food saver. I still have a test fish (small trout) and after 3 yrs theres still no freezer burn.

8. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    invite us all over for a fish fry and we'll make sure you won't nned to freeze them.

9. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I have a bad freezer that freezer burned a lot of fish if they were there very long. I will have to try the food sealer method, but until then, I use the block of ice method, fill the bag with water and they keep indefinately, as was stated. They just take a long time to thaw, because of the ice block; I do that in a sink, or to hurry the process, put the freezer bag in a bowl of warm water to get that ice melting faster. You need to use freezer bags instead of storage bags and they won't leak before they freeze, but no guarantees after you start to thaw them.

10. Someoneelse

Someoneelse New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

I user the ice as well. seems to keep forever.