How to flush sand out of 115hp merc

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by riverbud55, Jan 27, 2006.

1. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    need some advice on flushing out sand that mite be up inside of the motor,started to replace the impeller in the lower unit today and found sand around the impeller housing, was told to look for sand becuse the water presure gage is not working going to try and get it back togather by the end of the week if ican, the year of the motor is about a 86

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I have used salt away to remove sand and used a product called wash up.
    If you have sand impacted around the pump then it is gonna be hard to wash it out of the head.
    The proper way would be to pull the head for a visual inspection.
    I would flush it good with some good fresh water after cleaning out the lower
    unit and replace the whole water pump.
    Then watch the pressure after that and if it didn't come up it is time to clean out the water passage in the block.
    Has your heat alarm gone off yet and how much did your water pressure drop and was this drop at idle or running at wot.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I know the water pressure gauge line is small, so disconnect it and blow out with air pressure from the gauge end, then blow out the fitting at the block.

Remove the thermostat/s and clean with fresh water and back flush the block from the thermostat openings while the lower unit is off.

If it's not been running hot, you could be alright with this. Replace the complete water pump, not just the impellor.

You keep em straight Bubba. I'll be off line for a while, moving.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I'll do what I can robert and hurry up and get moved you advice will be missed here.
    I hate moveing.:)

5. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    hey thanks guys just got a pontoon with this engine on it, so don't know the history of it use but it came from lake havasu on the colorado river been used only on the lake by some older folks (70's ?) the presure gage is not working but the alarm has not sounded, have only ran the engine 3 times twice with muffs and once on the trailer backed in to the river for about 10 min. there wasn't a lot of sand around the pump maybe a 1/2 cup at the most. new thermostat/s sounds like a good idea to replace anyways, is there more than one? did buy the complete kit for the pump, one thing that bothers me is all the extra parts in the kit, a lot of o-rings and seals that i see no need for, should i remove the block or housing below the impeller housing, or should I say the part the impeller housing bolts to, it seems to be glud in place and maybe its just best left alone? is that were the other parts go? one other thing the only thing i got for info is a web site http://www.brokeboats.com/newpump.html and they talk about a seal for a oil passage way between the lower and upper portions of the lower unit and for the life of me i cant find it

thanks alot again

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Is that a serria kit or quick silver. Those kits are fitted where they will fit several lower units. If the lower unit is froze togeather you need to soak it with PB blaster. You can get it at any auto parts store. I have taken a propane torch the little kind and heated the bolts and around the seam to get them aloose.
    Let me know if this helps.
    I don't know for sure but I do think it had only one t-stat

7. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Ok got the lower unit off no problem, just a got a manual to day it has nothing in it on r+r the thermostat. were is the darn thing at, its on a strait six and i think it a 87 mod. whats all involved in getting to it. o ya its a quick silver kit. Had things on hold untill i got a manual but its not helping at all. another thing whats a good manual to get

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Dale I went and searched thru all my books on the 115 you have and like you couldn't find any thing on the location of the t-stat.
    If you would post the serial number and I will run by my buddies shop tomorrow and look on his micro fitch and see if and where it is located.

If that is a 1986 has it still go the oil tank on it or has some one done away with it.
    If it is a 1986 and it has the oil tank do away with it and premix your gas those things in 1986 were prone to break down often.
    Long about 89 they perfected them and they were reliable.
    Don'r despire on this it will come togeather.

What manuel did you get.
    I try to get a OEM manuel my self or a seloc the clymer ain't worth the paper its wrote on.
    You can get an oem manuel at Kencook company on the net.
    I'll ck early in the am and see if you have the number up.
    You can look around the cover plate where the plugs go in and see if you can find a place where a t-stat might be. I know on some of those inline sixes they recommended changing the t-stat about every 2 years but don't know if you have that model or not.
    Shoot on some of the older ones they didn't even have a t-stat.
    Sorry about this mix up I took it for granted that we were working on a 1150 which is a 4 cylinder but now we will get it right.
    I know you want to get it going but lets do it right so you won't toast that power head.

9. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    sorry about not getting back to right away but the boat at my work but here the # B125696 with maybe "0" infront of the "B"

Yep pre mix gas at 50 to 1

yep its a clymer good thing only paid 10 $ for it on e bay ill keep it on the boat just in case i need it sometime

not a problem on the mix up

thanks for the info and anything ya can come up with

man ol robert must be moven in a wagon lol

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Alright my friend here is what I have come up with.
    That motor is a 1987 and it does not have a T-Stat in that year.
    They later added the t-stat and popett valve.
    While you have the lower unit off try to fit you a piece of rubber pipe over the tube that fits into the pump and flush it that way.

Be sure and clean the pee tube out good to.

11. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    thanks bubba, just sounds to easy me lol. some how just didn't think there was one to be found, already cleaned the pee hole out at the outlet and it was pluged, hows about you go about doing the tube haven't got the boat here to look at right now or the manual. but i'l be on it first thing in the morn

hey bubba thanks for all the help ill let ya know how it goes

get Robert another horse for the wagon to help him speed things up. is he moven his house or his shop?

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I think he is hiding and trying to take a break on us. Can't say I would blame him.:) Man I am glad I am not moveing.

On the lower housing you should see a pick up tube on the 115 I would say about 3/4 to 1 inch in dia. that goes back up into the housing and into the power head. The pump forces water up thru it. Take you a length of hose that will fit upon the pipe and hook garden hose and run water up thru the block for awhile and let it clean all it can out.