How To Fix Leaking Rivets

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by CATDADDY78, Jun 5, 2006.

1. CATDADDY78

CATDADDY78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I HAVE A 1949 STARCRAFT 14' V BOTTOM AND ITS BEEN LEAKING FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS NOW. I JUST RIPPED UP THE FLOOR AGAIN TO FIND OUT EXACTLY WHERE IT IS LEAKING FROM. WHEN I FILLED IT UP A BUNCH OF RIVETS WERE LEAKING, MOSTLY ALONG THE RIBS RUNNING THE LENGHT OF THE BOAT. I STARTED DRILLING OUT THE RIVETS BUT I REALLY DONT KNOW WHAT TO USE AS A REPLACEMENT. COUPLE OF GUYS TOLD ME TO USE BOLTS W/ NUTS AND LOCK WASHER DIPPED IN SILICONE. IM READY TO GET BACK ON THE RIVER SOON, BUT I NEED YOU EXPERTS TO TELL ME WHAT TO USE IN PLACE OF THE RIVETS.

THANKS GUYS

OH YEAH CAUGHT A 18 LB. BLUE THE OTHER DAY WITH MY BUDDY:big_smile:

2. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    re-rivit it then put dollop of silicon or JP Weld on the rivit,on the inside of your boat. A buddy of had the same problam with his boat and this is how we fixed it. Its been leak free now for three years.

3. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    There is a rod out that you heat up with a plumbing torch and you kind of solder the rivit or hole and it patches it up. Supposed to be stronger than the parent material, I was going to fix an old boat and found this stuff and then decided to sell the boat as is. Wasn't very expensive and I might be able to find the website again if you need or want it. PM me if you want the information.

4. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    The proper thing is to put new rivets in. The areas rivets are in are designed to give so that the boat sections don't get torn up. It is a two person job.

and your caps lock key is on and it makes you look like you just discovered the internet.

5. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I agree with Josh ... new rivets are the 1st choice and you can buy solid pop rivets in 1/4" diameter that work really well.

Stainless bolts, washers and stop nuts are also good.

Either should be smeared with a light coat of sealant, like 5200, when installed and I use washers, even on rivets.

If they are just loose, they are soft and can be reset by having someone hold a metal bucking bar on one side (inside, generally) and seating them with about a 2 lb mallet (bigger won't hurt, but a sledge is hard to be accurate with) - it doesn't take a hard blow. I have a 6" section of railroad track that I use as a bucking bar, but I've also seen a bench vise used :smile2:

6. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Larry, I have a 6" piece of railroad track also. It was left by the people we bought a house from a long time ago. That's one of the handiest items to have around the garage. I wish he had left one more.

7. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    I flipped my boat over and put a dab of 3M 5200 on every rivet after a good wire brushing and cleaning. So far so good.

8. cj7848

cj7848 New Member

State:
    texas
    I agree with the 3M 5200. Worked great for me.

9. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a 95 Basstracker that leaked like pouring piss out of a boot. Mins was leaking from the factory splice under the center rib. What I did was drill some holes in the center rib and then sprayed it full of the can foam and that stopped all the leaks. I can fish all day run up and down the river and whn I get done pull the drain plug and barley get enough water to fill a 1/2 of a coffee cup.

10. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Bill, You just hit my Bass Tracker right on the head ! 95 model with a 40 Merc and a built in water spout. I hadn't found the leak area but I bet mine is just like yours. Did you drill the holes on the outside or did you rip up the floor. I mean mine leaks BAD. please be as specific as possable as to how you fixed yours. Thanks Much
    Stubby in Kansas

11. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    On the center rib that goes down the center of the boat on the out side. I drilled 6 holes equally spaced down the rib 1/4 inch in diameter. I started at the top of the rib and started filling until I saw foam starting to ooz out of the side of the rib. I continued this process until I went the length of the boat. I then let it set for a couple of days then went back and trimed the excess. It took me 4 cans of foam to complete the whole boat. If you need more info please shoot me a email and we can talk on the phone. I hope this helps

12. kctinner

kctinner New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have used the rod beeheck is talking about its made by 3M I bought it at cabelas for less than six dollars, it comes packaged with two 12 to 14 inch sticks it works really well and a little goes along way goodluck.

13. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I have a 1962 jon boat that really leaked and I was determined to fix it about 6 years ago. I happen to know some retired fellows that built airplanes as a hobby. I found out there are many different grades of rivets out there and the boat folks don't use the best grade. I bought some high strength rivets and used a black epoxy on the rivet when riveting the boat. I borrowed a hyd. rivet gun from them as I could not collaspse the rivet with the hand operated rivet gun. I now have no leaks at all. I wish I could give you more info, but talk to some sheet metal mechanic that works on aircraft and I'll bet they will give you good advise. Catfishjon

14. Houdini

Houdini New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Truck liner, sprayed in will keem the water out after you re-rivit the loose ones. Better yet you could always add a bildge pump, to pump out the water that leaks in.
    I always heard if 1 rivit lets water in, :angry: than remove 1 rivit from the other side of your boat to let the water out. :big_smile:

15. budchris2

budchris2 New Member

State:
    michigan
    Hi, I got the same problem, what kind of spray foam did you use, where did you get it? thanks Bud, budchris2@aol.com ph 863-439 8470
    What kind of spray foam did you use and where did you get it?

16. budchris2

budchris2 New Member

State:
    michigan
    Did you get your boat fixed. I got same Problem how did you fix it, what kind of spray foam did you use, where did you get it?

thanks Bud budchris2@aol.com

17. Louie

Louie New Member

State:
    Lewisburg, PA
    There is a product that Cabelas sells called Alumiweld I believe. It's cheap like six dollars and it goes along way. All you need is a propane torch to apply it. I will see if I can find the leak.

18. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    There is no reason to use rivet's drill out the rivet's and get some short Pan headed bolt's and use a nut on the inside seal the bolt head with some 3M 5200 works great and if it does leak any more just tighten the nut.

19. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

i have an aquantance that also had problems with his basstrackers. he claims that the leaks originated from over horespower and hull slapping , this damaged some of the rivets, apparently a common problem in this situation. interstingly he also claimed that a slightly smaller motor would actualy move this class boat faster!

find some blind rivets and rerivet, or smash down the old ones to reseat. that will work for some time before you need to replace, or just bring your boat into a place that does insurance hull work(expensive) they probably wont replace your $0.25 rivet for less than a few hundo's

20. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    95% of the time you can just take a hammer and dolly to the old rivets and it will fix the problem.Have a buddy hold a dolly on the leaking rivet on on side and you smack it with the hammer on the other and it should reseal the rivet.Unless the rivet is bad or gone then just put a new one in.I've never personaly had to put any kind of sealent on the new rivets to get then to seal up but probally not a bad idea.