How To Fix Leaking Rivets on my boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by CATDADDY78, Jun 5, 2006.

1. CATDADDY78

CATDADDY78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I Have A 14' 1949 Starcraft That Has A Bunch Of Leaking Rivets. Ive Tried Jb Weld,3m 5200 Marine Sealant, Silicone. Nothing Works. So Ive Started Drilling Out The Rivets But I Need To Know What To Replace Them With.

Can Someone Help Me?

Thanks, Jason

2. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Look into aircraft style solid rivets to replace the ones you drill out. I used to work on airplanes for a living and you have to replace them with a size larger rivet. A place to look to buy them is Fastenall Co.You will need help doing it but it is pretty easy to do it.

3. CATDADDY78

CATDADDY78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    thanks man my buddy just told me to try there

4. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    When I was younger we drilled out every rivet on our 14 ft john boat and replaced them all with machine screws and nuts using marine silicone on each bolt. It took a while but never leaked. It was my dad's idea.

5. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Be sure to check the caulking when replacing rivets. it will harden up and cause leaks.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Leaking rivets are never a problem as long as you have an even number.If you have one rivet that starts leaking you should loosen one on the opposite side of the boat.That way as the water leaks in one side it can run out the other :eek:oooh: :roll_eyes: .As long as the leaking rivets are even the incoming water has a way to get out.:big_smile: :lol:

7. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Very good theory Jim. Of course if too many start leaking, you could always leave the plug out to allow more water to drain out. Hey, a 14 foot live well, now that's an idea.

8. timbo

timbo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Drill out old or grind off ,,i used round slot ovel head s/s bolts and rubber washer,squeeze theards with vice grips nut will not back off THANKS TIMBO:big_smile:

9. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I just replaced 28 rivets in my 14' jonboat.
    They are not aircraft grade, which are recognizable by a dimple in the head of the rivet. All of the smaller, <$1,000 jon boats, I have looked at use "soft" solid rivets.
    The original factory rivets on my boat,Smokercraft, are Low Profile Wide Round Head "Brazier Head". Size 3/16"x3/8". I purchased them throughhttp://www.mcmaster.com/ page#3149.
    Drill out your rivets from the head side with a smaller diameter bit first, then a larger bit if need be. The holes don't have to be perfect. BUT any residue from epoxy, JB weld, tar, etc needs to be removed, or the rivets won't ever seal right.
    Finding a rivet set for your air hammer is the tough part, The head profile on these low profile requires a different rivet set for the best looking job. I used a solid piece of 1.50" sqaure tool steel, about 6" long for the bucking bar.
    Requires two people obviously.
    If you need anymore help, PM me and I'll tell you what we did to my boat.
    Good Luck.
    The compressor should be set fairly low, and I would highly recommend a lower powered air hammer. NO NEED for a heavy duty air gun.

10. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    Are you sure its the rivets I had leaks it was the caulk between the rivets
    just put some caulk on the seem of the boat sofar so good

11. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Do a google search for aircraft tool supply. The set shank size will be .401 dia with a head size of 3/16 to a 1/4 in rivet head if you need to use it. How far are ya from the western side of Missouri as I have all the tools to do the job but do not know where ya are located.I might even have the rivets laying around if I look hard enough.

12. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    try super glue on the rivets

13. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
  14. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've used two part epoxy to stop leaking rivots and it seems to work good.

15. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I watched both video's and I think I can do either one. I think I may try it sometime this winter. My boat doesn't leak, but I do have some projects I have to take to a pro sometimes. I would imagine that I am going to have to try each one in order to find the one I like, however I do like to do things like this for myself. Thanks for the info. Later Andy

16. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I'm from the southern hills of Indiana. What are you guys talking about leaking rivits. Aren't those the little fastners where the water comes in real slow to make the boat balance better and keep your feet cool. All my friends boats do that.....you mean it's some kind of problem?
    :crazy:

17. idolg

idolg New Member

State:
    Colfax, NC
    I re-bradded the rivets that were leaking as well as the ones that weren't on a former jon boat that I had and then 2 part epoxy them on the outside only and it never leaked a drop after that. I kept it for 4 years after that and then upgraded to larger jon boat. It might be sitting on the bottom of a lake some where as a catfish habitat now though!

18. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i have a 16' live well according to skimax

yeah its embarrssing :embarassed: , i take my freinds out and have to tell them to wear their water proof shoes , iv actually had fish swimming in the bottom of my boat . told scottwiseman couple weeks ago to put his finger on one rivet to keep the water from shooting up thruogh the floor :lol: he took me serious :lol: then i had to appologize and tell him i was joking , of course not knowing me . it was funny tho

19. hookman571

hookman571 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    West Marine is selling a Paint by GOOP. It is supposed to be for Aluminum Boats. It allegedly seals the old Rivets. It is expensive but that alone doesn't mean it works. It might be worth a look see.

20. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i used stainless steel rounded bolts and nuts on my transom but if their in the bottom i would use rivits and a rivit gun