How to fish topwater for carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by mcwrestler, May 13, 2008.

1. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I spend most of my hours on the bank fishing bottom and grits pack and all the other things that have produced for me. A screaming run is good fun and nothing gets me up and jumping faster than a screaming alarm, but I would be lying if I said that is the most exciting for me.

My favorite and IMO the most exciting way to hook into a big ol' carp is topwater with bread, no weight, no bobber. Just line, hook, and bread. I have described a few times on here how I do it but I just felt like putting up some pictures to show how I do it, and I know there are many ways. For some it comes natural to do it the way I do, a few guys I fish with are still working on it. It is real simple though in reality.

Step 1: Get a hook that is large enough for the task at hand. I usually use size 2 eagle claw or an equal size carp specific hook as I have pictured.

Step 2: Tear a piece of bread in half, I am using white bread in the picture but it doesn't matter what kind, as long as it is naturally moist and performs well. I am using the cheapest 2lb loaf I can get. Then tear off the crust, you should now have a rectangle of bread.

Step 3: Place the hook in the middle and then ball the bread around the eye of the hook, not the bend or the point. This allows the bread to stay buoyant and soggy enough for the hook point to come through. It should resemble a pear when done right.

Attached Files:

2. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Now you are ready to sling it. With a proper rod it can be slung a long distance and you don't have to worry about it coming off. I use a 10ft noodle crappie rod for my top water carping. I rig with 10lb test and an Okuma small bait runner and sling it. If you have trouble achieving distance use more of the bread. Sometimes I will use all the white part on one cast. I have gotten distances up to around 40 yards with a piece of bread and ideal conditions (New line, proper balling of bread, no wind) and can routinely get 20 yards with out trying. Even small rods can provide good fun with small and large carp. Try it with any lighter rod you have and TRUST. Not for the old beaten little rods. I have had some reels burnt up as well.

I am attaching a picture of the bread floating and waiting for a hungry carp. It will float as long as nothing takes it under. I always helps to chum up the carp with free scraps then cast your floating bread to them. Don't throw too close to them or they will spook, and don't reel to quickly if they are near. Even if the ball looks big trust me, they can get it. Try to pinpoint the biggest carp and go for it. When they take it wait until the turn and swim away/go under. As soon as your line V's across the water set into it and hang on.

It takes practice and finesse but it will work. Try this and go stalk some big ones. Go stalking, walk the creeks and look. See fish, throw in the crust, and wait for them to eat then precision cast to the fish. You only get one shot per bread ball though so make it count. I have landed hundreds of carp, no exaggeration, using this method over the years. This is how I started carping and I always go back to it. If seeing a big carp or any carp slurp in your bread does not get you excited just mail your rod to me, you don't need it, as you probably don't have a pulse. Tight lines all.
    :cool2:

Attached Files:

3. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Good info. I plan to give bread a try this summer and knowing how to fish it helps a bunch.

4. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If there is a waterside restaurant near you, you can find some big carp waiting on freebies, and the bread to them is a freebie.

After some time the carp get wary to the shape of the floating bread, and big ones will shun it. This is when you can get creative. Vary the shape, add flavor. I have a few more tricks I use if I have to, next time I try some I will post it.

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    That was some interesting stuff, when it warms up some around here and im able to get out I will give it a shot, I have caught alot of carp over the years but never thought about doing this, I always used dough balls, but im going to try what you was talking about looks very interesting thanks for sharing this info with us.

6. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Let me know how it works for you. If they feed on top this will get them.

7. SwampFoxNC

SwampFoxNC New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That is an excellent bit of information there and I really need something to help get some Carp. I need to catch them for a catfish tournament in the trash fish category. I see the Carp all over breaking the surface but no body catches them. They are not really big about 10 to 15 I would imagine but they break the surface like crazy around here here being NC and the Cape Fear River. If you have any other tips I can use please let me know. Thanks for the info.

8. bigcarp

bigcarp New Member

State:
    england
    the trouble with bread is our feathered friends love try feeding with floating pellets or dog biscuits glue a piece of cork to the hook when the carp are compeating for the bicuits introduce the cork they wont know what hit 'em
    :big_smile:

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    That is some good ifo.

10. catmanjake

catmanjake New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    or you can do what i do and cast out a dry fly :) alot funner catching carp with a fly rod. trust me.

nice info MCwrestler :)

11. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for sharing Brad.

12. Richard Phillips

Richard Phillips New Member

I'm going to wake up this old thread. I'll be doing this tomorrow while I'm out hunting some cats. I hope to post some pics tomorrow evening.

13. Orion Johnson

Orion Johnson New Member

State:
    Fort Campbell
    I'm glad you brought it back there are alot of carp in my area, and I plan on trying to catch them.

14. gdog bigcat

gdog bigcat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    This is a great post, Brad. Simple yet effective technique, sounds like. I look forward to trying it! Thanks!