How to fish the river

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by bigjimandthetwins, Jun 14, 2009.

1. bigjimandthetwins

bigjimandthetwins New Member

State:
    kentucky
    We're headed to a the river in mid July. Its a place called Derby in Hoosier National Forest. My guestion is, would you fish the main river or the creeks? Some of the creeks down there are miles long and open up into small lakes. Will the cats leave the creeks when its hot for deeper water,or do we have just as good of a chance to catch Big Moe back in the sticks? Our cabin is right at the mouth of Oil Creek. Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jimmy,
    I have caught some decent fish in Oil Creek when the main river has been high and rolling. At normal and low water we have not done any good but we don't spend much time in there unless the there is high water.
    If you have a boat the fishing in the big river is usually good, if you are shore bound you should definitely fish those creek mouths in the evening with something Big Moe can home in on when he comes in for supper. A big live shad or bluegill would be good.
    Good luck...W

3. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    In mid July I'd fish right down on the mighty Ohio_One of the the best times all year to bust a BIGGEN.PROMISE

4. bigjimandthetwins

bigjimandthetwins New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I was kinda thinking the same. We'll probably put some limb lines out in the creek with cut bait and sit at the mouth with live gills. We do have a boat, so should we stay outta the current or load up with weight and get in it? Drift or anchor? I usually bottom fish but could be persuaded to get my bait off the bottom. Any info? Also Poision Creek is less than a mile by boat, any better?

5. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    mid july i would drift. take the bait to them. look for deep water. current doesnt matter but i would drift deeper water

6. Big Game

Big Game New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey BigJim it looks like we should try a little drifting down there for sure!!

Rebecca and I went over to McAlpine today after my Jury Duty and talked with a couple of guys who where bottom fishing from the bank. They had 1 pretty nice striper and caught about a 2 lb channel while we were standing and talking with them.

They had shrimp and cut bait

Later

A

7. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Driften in July can really produce.I really like skips,shad,gills in that order.Caught 3 in the 30's 2 in the 40's and one in the 60"s in three days last year in July,drifting.I'm just saying!!!:big_smile:

8. Big Game

Big Game New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks cat hunter!! I sure hope we get in them!!