how to fish shad

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by rich crabtree, Mar 24, 2009.

1. rich crabtree

rich crabtree New Member

State:
    ohio
    In spring ( iv heard ) its best to use small chunks of cut bait, is this so ? summer is it good to use hole, 1/2 or cut it up in chunks, or even a hole shad with it shred ed up. as far as shad go es what has worked for u , and what do you reel in useing it that way ?

2. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Rich.I use shad all year long. For the most part I'm catching shad in the 4 to 6 inch range. I generally cut the head off and discard it, then make 2 more belly cuts and toss out the tail. I use the pieces from the mid section all year long. Sometimes in the summer I'll use a whole shad under float. I fish Alum and Delaware for channels so normally nothing over 15lb . I'm sure very soon someone else will reply, this is a very good site for excellent information - and again welcome to the best fishing site on the INTERNET!

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have found this seems to play out trip to trip rather than the seasons. I have caught big fish in the winter on quarter sized baits, and 8 to 10 inch baits. I usually vary the presentation between poles, and find out what the fish are taking, if at all...lol. Never really bought in to the smaller baits at certain times of the year. There may be something to it, but not enough for me to ever notice. You can go out twice in a month, sometimes they want a huge skip head, and sometimes half of a 6 inch shad or smaller. Just have to experiment a little. Welcome to the BOC:wink:

4. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I do the same except the head is by far the best bait around here for big blues.

5. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    First off welcome, I also cut my shad in thirds but I use the heads too. I have caught a lot of catfish on shad and bluegill heads.

6. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    welcome.i use the heads and cut the body up in steaks and use it that way.if you are worried about catching bigger fish,you can always use larger chunks that the smaller ones will hopefully leave alone.

7. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    I never cut my shad I use 6" shad whole. We have caught some big fish on the Ohio. 24-26" Walleye, 10-15 pound Stripers,30-54 pound Catfish to name a few. Now if I caught larger shad I'd cut them as mentioned. Good Luck!
    PS catch some skipjack!

8. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    \

Tim, you catch that blue in your avatar in West Virginia?

9. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    tbull, I caught that on Lake Wheeler fishing with Mike Mitchell. The girlfriend caught a 77 pounder!

Attached Files:

10. rich crabtree

rich crabtree New Member

State:
    ohio
    man oh man, it s hush hush in here, is every one litening for there clickers to go off? :wink::smile2:

11. rich crabtree

rich crabtree New Member

State:
    ohio
    listening:eek:oooh: