How to fish for Flathead Catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by nevets91, Oct 11, 2009.

1. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    how exactly do you guys target flatheads i have only targeted Blues and Channels. im not even sure that ive ever caught a flathead. when i was a kid a catfish was a catfish i never really thought of there being different kinds so i may have caught one when i was younger and just didnt know it. so how do you fish for them where do you fish for them and what baits work best?
    thanks

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Big live baits,in the dark close to the bank or shore for the most part.near wood or rocky cover. If fishing for them in daylight fish deep channels near rocky or woody cover with big live bait or cut shad.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009

3. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    for flats you definently want live baitblue gill,bullhead,suckers ect...the size really depends on the size fish your targeting in my oppinion.i look for wood(horizontal wood).not nessisarily in deep water.ive caught a lot of fish in 4 foot of water.but ive got a lot from deep water as well.i love outside bends inrivers with some cover.and patience a lot of patience.i'll try a spot for 30 min. sometimes an hour if nothing move.did i mention be patient especialy if your after bigguns.good luck!:001::001::0a18:

4. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    heavy gear is usually needed as flats are usually close to some sort of cover and will take your bait right into the cover and tangles,you want to try to stop them from getting into that cover.

like said above look for areas with heavy cover ,preferably with close access to a deep hole nearby.

use big lively bait,popular baits are bluegill,green sunfish,bullheads,and small carp,oh yeah, some guys use goldfish.

get your bait in close to cover and wait for the flat to come out and grab it.

not rocket science by any means. fresh,live baits are a must in my opinion,once in a while they'll take a cut bait peice,but remember that the flathead in more of a predator than a scavenger and fish accordingly.

5. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    great advice Don

6. arizhunter

arizhunter New Member

State:
    Goodyear, Az
    I agreed with all Live bait,good cover.darkest etc and lots and lots of patients I set one of fishing holes in Sept for 7 hours and got a 35lbs flat for my effort

7. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Just remember, if you use bullheads, clip the fins off first. Just make sure the bait you do use is legal in yours state; I know many states do not allow goldfish as live bait.

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

You got a lot of good information so far.A couple places I didn,t see mentioned were eddies below dams and in the rocks at the bases of bridge piers.:wink:

9. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Good info guys. I would say don't count out cut bait for big flatheads. I always use a mix of live and cut bait. In my experience, the live bait only theory for shovels is not completely accurate. In spring, I think cut out fishes live on most days, but I have had good success with cut through out the summer and fall as well.

Here is a thread with some good debate on the topic:
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120607