how to fish and make a sabiki rig

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by the bass assassian, Jun 24, 2009.

1. the bass assassian

the bass assassian New Member

State:
    sc
    hello brothers i need help on where to fish a sabiki i heard dams are good the only dam near me is the lake wylie dam which dams up the cawtawba river would skip jack be there? and how do you make a rig and what jigs do you put on it thanks for all the help:wink:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chris according to the laws in the area you intend to fish for bait. You can tie a few 1/16 oz jigs in a row using curly tails. If you need to go deeper then go to 1/8 oz jigs. Most bait shops near dams sell the sabiki rig.

3. the bass assassian

the bass assassian New Member

State:
    sc
    thanks guys i will try those rigs and hopefully get alot of bait thanks for all the help:wink:

4. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Bass pro shop sells em.You can throw them out and reel as fast as ya can,sometimes slow , sometimes jerk as you reel.Try all these and let the skippies decdide what they like.They are THE best blue cat bait.Good luck to ya my brotha.Dont be affraid to freeze em.I caught 7 blues last satutrday on skippies we caught march of 2008 !!!!

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    cast the sabiki rig in and around walls where swift water is present. Look for small shad swimming about.. the skips will feed on the small shad.

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    First time I have heard of this rig. Learn new things everyday. Just got to keep reading till the eyes blur. Many thanks for the post very informative.

7. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Chris - there are no skipjack in SC! You need to go to TN to catch'em! But you can catch a mess of white perch with a sabiki - just tip each hook with a piece of a worm, crawler, or shrimp, and fish the rig just off of the bottom. Use a small sinker (1/2 oz or so) to keep it there, and make sure that the boat is moving a bit. Perch like to ball up, so when you locate some drop a marker bouy and fish all around it. On a good day you can easily catch 50 - 60 perch in a couple of hours.