How to find fish in River Seams and current breaks

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by DeerHunter01, May 15, 2006.

1. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    This section will be posting on different River seams and Current breaks and how to use your fish finder in locating the fish your after, and help let you understand what the current breaks and seams are about.

This is a very hard section to try and teach members on, but after it gets going I think it will only help your fishing 10 fold.

I have a couple of Photos of a current seam and break that I would like to post for you too look at, I will be and so will other members here posting pictures and explaining what you need to look for.

This one I am posting here is one area that fish stack on:

Picture (current seam.jpg) is right on the seam.

Picture 1 is right behind the seam

Picture 2 is behind where the break starts.

Attached Files:

2. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Fish finder on the current seam and behind it.

Current seam Photo is right where the seam is.
    And you can see the fish laying right below it.

The next Photo is right behind the seam where the break starts in the current on the drop off.

Fish are laying right off the break.

Attached Files:

3. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Probably a stupid question but what is a seam and what is a break? What causes them? I don't fish rivers just creeks and lakes.

4. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    gargoil77

I will give you the easy way to find one then once you see it you will always know these spots. I am sure you have seen them on all water ways.

The seam between faster and calmer water is usually easy to spot. Look for the area where surface agitation and foam from the current play out. Such areas are prime feeding stations for Catfish.

The Current breaks are where the water hits slow water or standing water and makes a nice break along it. Catfish will hold in the slow or no moving water to not to use any energy looking for bait fish when one comes buy on the current break they dart out and grab it and back to there holding spot where they can munch down.

Let me try this if you were fishing with a fly rod looking for trout in a stream and your looking for that old Brook trout or Brown trout then you will be looking for seams or current breaks in the water.

You have riffles coming down a stream into a bend on it, the water hits the bank at one place causing a Current break on the other side, what I call the inside of the bend, look for that current break where the fish hold half way across or right up next to the bend on the inside. Also the seams appears if there is a deeper hole there what I call the inside seam at the lower end of the hole where the water starts back up stream or right in the middle of the hole is the center of the seam. I hope this helps, its easier for me too show someone then to explain it on the Internet by typing it out..LMAO

If you have any questions please ask I will try and answer them.

5. Rob Heflin

Rob Heflin New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I have been watching the water more closely since reading some of these posts. Two days ago I set a line in the river, behind a large tree that is about 1/4 the way across the river, standing upright. The river is flowing quickly around the left and right of the tree and the tree is in the outside bend. Directly behind the tree, the water is moving really slow and there is an eddy made from water on the left side and right side of the tree that is boiling in from each side. I noticed on my depth finder that the water was 25 feet deep on the left side of the tree but only 10-15 feet deep behind the tree. I placed my line from the tree and downstream in the slower water, right on the ledge. I checked it yesterday and had a 20# blue on the top hook.

If I am understanding this right, the fish will hold in the calmer water much like we would stand behind something on a cold day to get out of the wind. Right on the edge where the faster water is breaking against the calm water is the seam? You can see the line in the water where the two "waters" are touching.

Now I have another spot I'd like to try. Just downstream from a bridge there are two holes. One is in the beginning of a hard bend in the river, and the other is maybe 50 yards up from the bend hole. There is a hump in between the two holes. Would one do well fishing the hump or just below it where the water from the first hole is forced upwards and there could be a calm spot behind the hump?

6. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Rob:

The hump your talking about its hard for me to give you the right facts without seeing it, but just say there is a current break on that hump from the bend in the river. then yes that hump may be a great spot.

Some times In the late spring and early summer you will find a fish sitting on these humps and they are great fishing, but talking about seams and current breaks I would guess there is none on this hump unless like I said the main current is cut off right on top of it. Or if your fishing in High water conditions then behind that hump would be great to get out of the current they would then have two current breaks on each side of it.

You are correct in what your saying here, except the calm water would be your edge of the current break not the seam.
    These fish go into these spots to use less energy to feed up prior to a spawn or prior to wintering up for the winter months. When water is at summer pool and staying the same then these fish start looking for feeding pattern's like schools of bait fish and so on or a stream coming into the river system and then they will lay right on that break to feed.

One thing I will and should point out here is drop offs and ledges I do fish these too but when we are just hitting right now on current breaks and seams then I am not really going into any details about them, unless there right on a seam or current break.

I started to do a diagram on here and had it about finished after two hours and my daughter set off the automatic fire alarms in the house cooking her breakfast and I had to shut down the main power switch in the house to get it too reset, therefor losing everything I had done on the computer..lol Maybe later on I will try it again.

7. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ok I re-did the Photo that I was doing, In this picture here I outlined some seams and current breaks that you can watch for when your out fishing, I am going to try and get some good pictures here in the next day or so on current breaks and Seams so I can show these a little bit better. I hope this photo helps some.

[​IMG]

8. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    The photos of your fish finder with the explantion of what we were seeing was most helpful. Anymore of these would be eagerly read! Thanks!

9. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    This is excellent stuff! Please keep it coming!