How to find chub in the river.

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by vandellchuck, Jul 30, 2007.

1. vandellchuck

vandellchuck New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would love to use live chub for some big cats, but im not sure were to find them. Im usually in the missisipi river. And there are some local streams around me. i have a casting net. Is there anyone out thre with suggestions?

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    We use minnow traps here to catch them. They aren't very hardy so you have to check the traps pretty often.

3. vandellchuck

vandellchuck New Member

State:
    Illinois
    what kindof bait should i put in the trap? and were do they like to hang out?

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Dry dogfood works for me. It also helps to put a piece of plywood or styrofoam over the trap, this makes them think they are hiding and will attract more to it.

5. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Hey Dred... I'm not sure if I've ever seen a chub. Do you have a snapshot of one? What can you tell me about them?

I've seined this river and used perch traps and never saw anything other than redhorse and glass minnows.

6. Deuce

Deuce New Member

State:
    ohio
    I catch them here in small creeks with a small hook and a red worm no weight . usually catch all I need in 10 min or less. they seem to hit just about anthing you throw out trying to keep any of the other fish from getting it...

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have no pics but, I do know what they look like, LOL!!! We get them from 4 to 6" long here in small creeks and, drainage ditches with pockets that hold good water!