How to Find Catfish...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by baptistpreach, Jul 16, 2007.

1. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Where I live in the Western Oklahoma, there are some great catfishing lakes. Some are not as well known, but do have good catfish in them. My Q is this, I am new to catfishing, and where do I find them! I would guess that like most fish it depends on time of year, but if someone would break it down, in general, I would appreciate it. I went to the lake last night, and I was told, "the catfish were starting to come in" I guess that means to feed in shallows at night, but is there a kind of general rule for where to find them and when? Thanks in advance!

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You find them wherever they are...LOL. Like humans, cats are creatures of comfort. They have a water temperature they prefer, sort of like our air conditioning, and they will be in water with that temperature. Now you might think in the heat of summer, that would be close to the bottom, as they are sort of bottom dwellers. But then you have to throw in the thermocline, which is a point in the water where the oxygen is almost non-existent. So, they will not be in this water for any length of time, as they would die. Next, they like their old recliner, next to the t.v.... this may equate to an underwater ledge, tree stumps, downed trees, large rocks, sharp curve in the river/creek channel. Then, I guess you can say they like their beer and pretzels brought to them as they do dislike to move very far from the creature comforts for a snack. Speaking of snacks, a cats favorite snack is usually a smaller fish - species is not important. These smaller fish are usually found in shallower water, hence the term the "cats are coming in" is used. Now that is it in a nutshell. You have to have the right temperature, their favorite structure, and a food source. You find those things, you find the catfish. Oh, and they change almost hourly. LOL. Have fun.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lawrence that is the best explantation I have ever read on that subject. I totally agree with you. The older we get the more comfort becomes and important factor on where we hang out. Well said Brother.:smile2:

4. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    whats up David, im mikey, sadly to say i dont have a boat, if i did, i would be going to deep parts of a lake, or finding heavily brushed areas or even trees that hang over lakes, that i could not get to from shore... i bank fish, the earliest time i can fish here in so cal at the local lakes is 7:30am, if i can get down to throw my pole in before 8 i at least get one fish at any part of the lake, when water warms up during the day i noticed them cats like to seek holes and shade, not always particually deeeeep water, however they are there too, but i have better luck in coves and water that does not excceed 25 ft, if you find out where those holes and shady spots are that would greatly increase your chances of finding those cats instead of waiting for some cat to be mosing on by to catch up the sent of your bait, i fish mostly channels down here since im miles and miles away from any flatties:cry:, so in a nut shell, find them holes, docks, bridges and brushy shady spots, weither it be a tree that over hangs the lake/river or even by huge stones in the water that are either oval or oddly shapped, thats where i would do my fishing

5. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    DAVID-CALL ME LUCKY,BUT I FISH ONE LITTLE CUT ON MY HOME LAKE AND CATCH FISH YEAR ROUND(IT RANGES TO ABOUT 15 FOOT DEEP)

6. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Ok, you are lucky! How big of fish do you catch?

7. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    the biggest i have got in the boat was a 26lbs blue ,i have caught plenty of 10 to 15lbers ,and alot smaller (all caught on live bluegill and shad)

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I like to jugfish, and I've found a number of good spots to rod & reel fish while jugfishing. Jugfishing covers a very wide area, and a hotspot becomes pretty apparent once you've caught several fish in the same area.