How to find catfish in the spring time

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Mac-b, May 14, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    If you are fishing a body of water, other than a river, this information will help you in the spring time. You don't even need a fish finder (sonar). Check the back of coves or bays and look for the goslings and ducklings. The big cats (both Ark. Blues and flatheads) will be in close proximity. Every spring my partner and myself have certain coves that we work because of the small ducks and geese and we are always rewarded with a fish in the high twenties to thirties. Also, check out the banks of the coves for mussel shells. The cats have rooted them up while feeding and the racoons, musrats and river otters are feeding on those that float up. You can drift fish (using your trolling motor or you can anchor down), I have had good luck doing both. Check it out and let me know if this technique works in your area.

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good suggestion. We have had luck fishing just about any shallow mud flats. Unexpectedly caught flatheads there too. Do you think the fish are eating the ducks, or their excrement? I have caught fish near the roosts of herons, and cormorants. I think they are attracted to their poop, but could be waiting for a baby to fall from the trees too??? I always try to go where the birds are, whether it be their roosting sites or where the birds are foraging. They seem to know better than I do where the food is I think.

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Matt, big cats will eat anything they can get thier mouth on. I first got this idea watching bass eat duckling and goslings on a small lake where I use to live. Then three years ago, my partner and myself saw some ducklings and then we saw two monster cats crusing in 4 to 5 feet of water along the shore line. We didn't catch those two, but got three others that morning ranging from 18 to 29 pounds. We do CPR so we don't know what was in their stomachs. Last year we went back to the same cove in the spring with the ducklings, did not see the big ones in the shallows, but was able to catch a large flathead and two blues in the high twenties to low thirties. Went back there yesterday (5-13-07) and did not see the small ducks, but got four in the 6.5 to 11.5 range. I guess we were a little early, will check back this coming weekend.

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    The "poop" actually attracts baitfish like shad which in turn attracts catfish.Ducks will also eat mussels too and that might be another indication of why ducks and catfish are there.I have heard of instances where a cat will take a baby duckling too.

5. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've seen a large cat take a duckling before, it's quite a sight. Poor bird didn't stand a chance and poor momma duck nearly had a coronary.