How to Fillet a catfish

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=edsJOuwcRKg

how do you folks do it? this guy seems to have an inordinate amount of trouble removing the head. and i would be ashamed if my fillet knife wasn't sharper than that.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Phil if he had much experience in cutting those big boys he would have had his knife sharp and would have killed that cat before skinning it.
    You are right that knife is dull as a fro.

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Your RIGHT Phil,I could Ride from here in Iowa to St.Louis on the Edge of that Blade and Never Cut Myself!!! LOL. We Need to give Him a lesson in Knife Sharpening 101.J.D.:smile2:

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thats sad, thats a mundial boning knife. i have two just like it. those are just razor sharp from the factory. he obviously never honed it.

i just skin anf fillet. i never remove head or guts. my carcus is in one piece when im done and i even remove belly meat. i can do 5-6 in the time he did the one.:smile2:

5. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good comments guys, My first thought was how dull the knife was, # 2 My thoughts are doint cut off anything that you are not going to eat ( head, tail , fins, guts.) Filet knives are for cutting meat I doin't even cut rib bones with a filet knife. We all can find new or better ways of doing things on the BOC keep makeing those post. Happy New Year , Have a Great 2008.
    Paul

6. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for posting the link Phil.
    I give the guy props for making the video and posting it to try and help others out. My first instinct was to blast the guy for things he did in the video that were different than how I would do it. He was just trying to help people that may not know anything about skinning a catfish. His video can get people started.:big_smile:
    The guy does need to get that knife sharpened before he hurts himself. Dull blades can be more dangerous that a sharp blade.

I do a few thing differently but that is just what works the best for me. I do not cut anything off the fish that I don't intend on eating (minus the skin). When I am finished the carcass is all in one piece.
    I cut the skin just behind the bone done each side. I then make a cut down the back of the fish and around each side of the dorsal fin all the way to the tail. This allows the skin to be removed much easier, I think. I use skinning pliers to pull the skin off. Then proceed to fillet from front to back. Remove any red meat.
    Wash carefully, soak in milk for about 30 min in the fridge, remove from milk, add a little corn meal, flour, salt, pepper, and drop them in the grease.:big_smile:
    Fix a few potatoes and hush puppies and enjoy.
    Man that just made me hungry.

Thanks
    David

7. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I hope he never catches over 1 or 2 fish at a time or he'll never get them cleaned in 1 day. He made me nervous just watching him,as slow as he was. He better never take up commercial fishing and plan on selling his fish dressed,because he would never get a couple hundred pounds of fish cleaned in a day's time. The best part of that whole video was the background music. He must live on a busy street or close to an interstate as much traffic noise as there was in the background. Anyhow,about all I learned from that video was he wasn't very well prepared to clean fish!

8. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I can't believe it took him that long to fillet that cat, I never take that long and I always make sure my knife is sharp before I even get started. If I wore a whit t-shirt, it wouldn't be white when I was done....lol

:smile2::wink:

9. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I filleted 88 catfish a few years back in about 2-2 1/2 hours.My girl skinned them for me.why would you cut the head off?
    You are right that is one dull knife.

10. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    LOL! I left the guy a messege. Check it out. I'm elvisH8tr. That was dangerous to decapitate the fish.:eek:oooh: I only remove the heads of small pan-size fryers, and that involves a twist, crack, and a yank...lol. Eight and a half minutes long in fast forward, and edited!!! Yikes! I bet it took half an hour in real time.:crazy:

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thats not bad. thats one every 1.7045454 minutes.:big_smile:

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    maybe its just me but i dont skin a cat till it gets over 10 lbs.i use an electric fillet knife and it dont take long to do a limit of small cats.

13. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I agree the knife was way too dull!