How to estimate a fish's weight

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by ohio-j, Aug 16, 2009.

1. ohio-j

ohio-j New Member

State:
    ohio
    After maxing out my 50 lb scale i looked up how to estimate a fish weight by its measurements.G=girth in inches (measured all the way around the fattest part of the fish.S=short measurement in inches(a short measurement is from the bottom jaw to the inside of the fork in the tail.So the formula goes like this. (G2 x S)/800 This is said to be with in 10% of accurate.I have not used it in the field yet but will soon.I found the info intriguing and hope you do to.I intend to cross reference the formula with the scales this week to come up with my own conclusions.:cool2:

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Man the best thing to do is get a descent scale, doesnt have to cost an arm and a leg. Then take a few dumbells of different sizes say 10-25-45, and see how accurate they are. Even if they weigh off, but consistantly weigh off, you can then add or subtract how ever many pounds you know you have too...:wink:

3. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    Catfish weights, especially flatheads, are usually way over estimated! It's unbelievable how many guys have told me that they've caught a 50 pounder, until I start asking them about length and weighing it. There's not nearly as many 50 pound flatheads caught as you hear about. Just a few days ago I had a muskie fisherman tell me that he caught a 50 pounder. I asked him about measuring and weighing it only to find out that he did neither. He figured it was "at least 50 pounds" because it took two guys to lift it in the boat.
    I have 3 sets of scales in my boat. A Boga, a spring scale and a digital scale. The fish that come in my boat are not estimated!
    My advice. Get some good scales.