How to eat a buff

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by kyredneck, Oct 29, 2007.

Have you ever eaten fried bufalo sucker?

1. Tried it and like it

2. Tried it, don't care for it

3. Never tried it

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Buffalo suckers. They’re the number one commercially caught and sold freshwater fish in North America, and yet I gotta wonder how many fish-eating fishermen have actually ever tried it. There’s definitely no beauty there to gaze upon, they’re slimy, they’re carpy-lookin, and they’re boney, which is probably the main reason many decline it. Also, some may wrongly assume that because of the resemblence to carp, they must taste like carp, and that’s simply not true. Buffalo sucker is as delicious deep-fried as any other fish going; it just has fine y-bones in the meat (much like Northern Pike) which must dealt with. My whole family loves deep-fried buff and I’d like to share with you all how we go about preparing and eating it.

The first photo shows how the slabs are cut up (far right). Note that the rib cage is included. The rib bones are large and these pieces are eaten just as you would a piece of fried chicken, right off the bone.
    Note the red meat in both the store bought tilapia (far left) and the buff slab (center). I’ve heard so many say that buff ain’t fit to eat unless this vein is removed. It is not necessary to remove any of the red meat.

The second photo,,,, well,,,,, it makes my mouth water and requires no explanation.

The third photo shows how pieces (other than the ribs) are pulled apart down the middle in order to expose the y-bones for removal. It’s so simple; just pluck them out! One will work much harder getting the meat from crab legs than picking the bones from buff. I might add that I cook buff slightly longer than other fish in order to cause the y-bones to slip easily when pulled; and that’s it!!

Attached Files:

2. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    for speaking 'off the cuff' and not providing a reference. I made the statement:
    "They’re the number one commercially caught and sold freshwater fish in North America" ... My memory may not be correct on this and I may should have said 'the Continental U.S.. Can't remember zactly right now if I gleaned that tidbit from the web or somewhere else. I'll try to provide a reference when I get time.

Thanks./ Sorry.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    If anyone has never tried them they should. Those buffalo ribs are delicious.

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    never had em. I've heard when i was a boy that sucker is best in the spring & made into fish cakes. Other wise they taste "muddy". But that could be an old wives tale.

5. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i like buffalo wings just fine. jk

i cleaned one when i was a kid, but momma said no self respectin' folk ate fish what come outa yonder ditch.

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I'm not even sure what fish that is. I know it looks really good now, LOL.

7. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    How do you tell the difference between them and carp ?Is a buffalo sucker same as a buffalo carp ?I smoke a lot of carp and reg suckers , also pickle suckers . I fish the Fox in Wis. and alot of the lakes . Sure looked tasty !
    Jay-Jay

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Jim I got my 'sucker book' out and SC is not within the range of buffalo suckers, for some reason.

Wow, PA is out of range for buff too. You all do have redhorse and white suckers, which I consider both delicious. I have blended bones and all up and made patties, and they're good, just gotta be careful not to overcook which dries the pattie out. I'd rather eat them in fillet form though.

Joe, you all have the bigmouth buffalo sucker up there, don't know about the smallmouth.

Carp have barbels (whiskers), buff don't. Buff meat is snow white, carp meat ain't. Buff are silver lookin and carp are more golden lookin. It's odd, at a glance the two look exactly the same but they're not even closely related according to the biologists. The techniques to catch the two are similar.

9. dab_602000

dab_602000 New Member

State:
    Ft. Worth Texas
    I catch alot of Buffs hhere in TX but never ate them. But when Io catch them there are always people who want them. Your pics might change my mind on eating them. They are really big here. The biggest one I caufgt was 31# and the rest range from 8- 25#s. I use cottonseed meal and flour to catch them. They are reall fun to catch and put up a exciting fight. Thanks

10. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Thanks for commenting David. Buffs grow big here too, KY State record for smallmouth is 55 lb. I've caught them (on trotline) up to 20 lb.; had one that was at least 30 lb. last year that gave one lunge when I brought it to the surface and broke the trot and got away. The big ones are very tricky to get in the boat, they will explode on you when brought up to the light. The size range I catch is like 6-20 Lbs..

Cottonseed meal is, IMO, absolutely the best overall bait for buffalo suckers (channels like it too). If you want to see my boilie recipe go here:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36205

11. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i never tried one, but next one i catch, i gonna try, this is like the 3rd or 4th time ive scene somethin on eatin em! so now im convinced!!!

12. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I have never eaten them before. Never even seen one in real life yet though I hear that they are great bait for Flathead. Those pics are making me hungry!:smile2: