How to drive a four wheeler?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by whiskerchaser, Jul 23, 2006.

1. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Ok i know this is a catfish site but I have looked all over the internet on how to learn how to drive or ride a four wheeler/dirt bike. today i was at a friends house and they were all riding the four wheeler and asked why i wasnt and I was embarrased cuz i dont know how. they didnt laugh or anything actually one of my friends asked if i wanted them to teach me and i said yeah sure ok but it got dark right before he could show me so I dont know how to ride a FOUR WHEELER or DIRT BIKE. could u guys teach me and give me some advice? please!!! I want to know how to ride the kind with and without the clutch thanks a lot u would be saving me much emabarrasment thank you guys.

P.S. maybe someone can give me a link that teaches you thanks a lot guys and gals.

2. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    It's easy. Alot of them these days even have aoutmatic transmissions. You just shift with your left foot (usually 1st gear is down, then 2,3,4,5 are up with the left toe). The rear breke in the foot pedal on the right and the front brake is the hand lever on the right handle bar. Throttle is on the right and the clutch is on the left. Always lean into the turn instead of away from it.

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Remember on turns to keep both feet on the pegs! It is pretty easy to get your foot between the rear tire and the ground and can turn deadly!

4. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Thanks guys i didnt know it was that easy when is it the right time to shift?

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Delta, tell this to my cousin's daughter who is the ATVA Extreme Dirt Track Racing women's national champion 2005 and on her way to 2006.
    They flat track at speeds of 80+ MPH hanging all off the sides of them things to get them to turn.:big_smile:

6. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You should contact a local ATV shop & ask them where you could take a rider-saftey course, I doubt they cost much. You're better off being trained by "professionals", nothing against your friends. It would also probably help down the road, should you ever want to get your motorcycle endorsement in the future.

4-wheelers can be dangerous, there are people killed on them all the time, so I hope you'll consider the course......there's more to riding than knowing where the throttle, brakes & clutch are.

Smitty

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    James, we do have an ATV section... it is located in Repair Help, here.

ATV's are easy to ride.. or the 2 passenger Bombardier we have is. Just use common sense and don't try much until you are very familiar with riding it on flat ground. I was 67 before I got an ATV. Never been on one before, I first read the owners manual. Then started riding.
    The dealer provided ATV riding schools at no cost if one was interested.

So far I've never hurt myself or wife. I've had to step off a couple times when one side came off the ground on a steep hill.

They are fun but can be very dangerous.

8. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    A four wheeler is really very simple. Now safety is a whole different category, and really one you should learn first. I can't tell you the wrecks I've had on four wheelers, and my nephew ran through a barb wire fence and cut his throat from one ear to the other. As for the basics, riding one with a clutch is just being able to do 3 things at once. Make sure you start in 1st gear from a standstill, or you can burn the clutch up. Most of the shift patterns are 5 up, or 1 down 4 up. There are some variances. The shift pattern should be marked somewhere visible, and if not, whoever rides it can tell you. Just squeeze the clutch, put it in gear, give it a little gas, and ease out on the clutch. It's a learned process, the combination of clutch/gas. You'll get the hang of it after a while. Just don't let out to fast or you might be sittin on your butt. Don't run it up to a real high RPM. There's no need for it on an ATV. When your ready to shift, reverse the combo of clutch/gas, and then shift the gear while you've got the clutch pulled with your thumb off the gas. Use this to process to shift up and down. When braking a little, you don't always have to use the clutch, unless your slowing to a speed where you need a lower gear. When braking to a stop, always squeeze the clutch. If you don't you'll be bogging the motor down, as it will still be trying to go. As for driving w/out a clutch, use the same procedure as with, but you don't have to squeeze the clutch. Put it in gear, mash throttle. When ready to shift, let off the throttle and shift, then give it the gas. If you've still got the throttle mashed when you shift, you put a lot of wear on the transmission, cause you're essentially popping the clutch on it (internally). You'll get the hang of it. Just be glad you've got friends that want to help you. Be very cautious, but don't be scared of it. When using safety, they're very fun. If your not careful though, you can be seriously injured. Good luck!!

9. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Thanks guys I m kinda gettin the feel of it anyway so far u have told me how to ride thanks a lot guys.

10. countrygirl0569

countrygirl0569 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've only ridden on the back of one, sorry, cant help ya there lol

11. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I know how you feel man it wasnt untill 2 winters ago I rode a snowmobile at a friends party out on a frozen lake. I have lived in minnesota 16 years and had never rode one. It was fun but atvs are more fun.

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I didn't mention but our Bomb is auto or manual shifting. In auto it will shift when needed but for the riding we do (lot of up and down steep hills) I prefer manual shifting. There is no clutch... to shift in manual it has a switch on the handlebar, just touch the switch for up or down and it will move to the next gear, continue touch the shift switch will shift through the 5 gears. Also has a manual shift lever for high, low, reverse and neutral. The high/low gives the option of 10 forward and 2 reverse gears. The 4 wheel drive operation will switch automatically as needed.

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    #1 BE Sure and wear a helmet.Here in Mo if your on privite property you don't have to wear one which I think is stupid. Be sure your on level ground go slow and take it easy. You'll get the hang of it before you know it. #2 Be sure to respect it cause it will hurt you. I got lucky this past spring,I was down in the woods behind the house and rolled the one I was on. That got my attention real quick.Lucky I was able to roll out of the way before it stopped against a tree on its side.Had to walk back get tractor and chains and long cable to reach it and pull it back on its wheels. Didn't hurt it any thank goodness it wasn't mine. so be darn Careful on them.

14. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Easy on the four wheeler, push the gas and hold on. Lazy on the turns, hard on the staights, and lean back in the air. All 4 wheelers 92 and up gears are all up. Dirt bikes are like riding a regular bike. Same gears as a four wheeler clutch on the left. Rock and roll:hell_boy: . Just make sure the tires stay under you and not on top:eek:oooh:

15. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    This would be my recommendation as well. Most shops now offer atv riding classes due to the number of deaths and injuries caused by atv accidents. Most of these classes are sponsored by the manufacturers in an effort to promote safe and responsible riding and cost little to nothing to participate in. Contact your local motorcycle/atv dealership and they should be able to provide you with more information.

16. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    I never road one I drive my 4x4 truck

17. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    http://atvsafety.org/

Smitty

18. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I was just about ready to post the site. I'm an instructor for the ATV Safety institute. Anyone in the Air Force that needs to use a 4-Wheeler (ATV) for their duties like my career field have to go through the course before they are allowed to use one. ATVs are the #1 most dangerous vehicles in America, so a safety course is very important for a beginner to get a good foundation. If you buy a new ATV from the dealership they (manufacturers) pay you to take the class, and will give you more money for any family members you bring with you. It's a fun course, so let me know if you need any help locating anything.

SudDawg
    SSgt Shane M. Sudman
    ATV Safety Institute Instructor #112714

19. jaybird78

jaybird78 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    riding a four wheeler is pretty easy if it is auto it is like driving a small car. Don't be embarassed just get on and ride. ya gota live and try new things.:cool2:

20. turbinemanic

turbinemanic New Member

State:
    Arma Kansas
    Get on hang on and don't do anything stupid. It's like riding a bike except the powers at your thumb instead of your legs. And under no circumatance take your feet off the pegs!!!!!!!!:lol: