how to drift ???

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by 1 catbuster, Sep 21, 2009.

1. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    I was wanting to learn how to drift going to Truman Wednesday and i'd like to give it a try

2. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Dave I drifted for the first time this past Friday. What a blast. Didnt catch a lot. But I dont have to catch a lot to have a succesful trip. Just being out with good friends and being on the water is there anything any better? I wish I could help more. Someone will be on soon to help. Good luck and hope your trip to Truman is a good one.

Tom

3. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    Tom i am taking my dad so it don't matter if we catch allot of fish or not and you are right good company is what it is all about. thanks for the post Tom

4. driftin blues

driftin blues New Member

State:
    mo
    Thats kind of a tough one to boil down to an internet post, best bet would be to find someone who has experience with it and spend a day or two with them. But to greatly oversimplify it and try to boil it down I would say. Find fish with your electronics, Then Drag baits, fresh cut shad, through them at a speed somewhere less than 1.2 mph. Preferred speeds can vary some like it slower like .3 or .4 mph, personally I like it the most a little faster .7 to 1.2 depends on the day and how good they are biting, the better they are biting the faster I prefer to go, cover lots of ground, tough day slow her down try to coax a bite. Speed is controlled via a variety of methods, use of trolling motor, use of wind pushing your boat and a drift sock slowing it down, etc. You need a snagless weight set up, Most on truman use slinky weights, lindy style snagless weights will work too but not as well. Use a float on your line too to keep your bait up off the bottom for less snags. Hope this helps some, its hard to try to describe in just a few words, but I will say this if you get onto a good day driftin you will be hooked.

5. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest