How to drain gas tank?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by JPritch, Jul 24, 2009.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Getting the boat ready for the upcoming fishing season. I want to drain my tank and put fresh gas in.

My tank is not accessible, and there appears to be a long black tube that runs from the cap to the tank that the gas travels through. Gas cap is in the back of the boat, and I'm thinking the tank is situated near the front. Suggestions on getting the gas out? Somebody told me all tanks are supposed to be accessible somehow? Am I perhaps missing an access area to it. If not, what tools will I need.

Thanks!

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    What sort of boat do you have? The dealer or manufacturer should be able to tell you where the tank is located and exactly how to access it.
    Have you tried to fire the motor up yet? Did it run? If it did then the gas is probably ok. A better option might be to fill up with fresh gas and a can of Sea Foam, change the filter and just run it. If the gas is really old and it won't start then your whole fuel system is going to need a bit of a clean up...W

3. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    how old is the gas and do you know how much is in there? if its not that old and theres not to much in there just filler with some fresh and you should be good to go.

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    The gas in the tank is currently about 3 months old, and last time I ran the boat about 2 months ago, I had stuttering and found water in my fuel/water separator filter.

So aside from the gas probably being phase-separated (damn ethanol), I'm also concerned about large amounts of water in there. So I want to start fresh with a clean tank.

I've tried alot of different things to keep water out of there, and my latest "thought" is a bad combo fill cap/vent. I'm gonna replace that and see what happens.

I looked around and saw where I can unhook the fuel line going into my outboard and just pump the primer bulb to start a siphon. I'm gonna give it a try.

5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    if you have water in it you wont get it all out unless you can remove the tank.. get a clear cup or mason jar and pump a few strokes on the primer bulb and see what the gas looks like.. you will plainly see the gas on the bottom of the glass if there is any in there.. not much need in draining it if there is water in there it will be at the bottom and will be the first thing pumped out..

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I emptied mine once by using an in-line electric fuel pump (from local parts store) connected to the hose after the water separator, pumped into containers. I made sure the boat was at a slight upward angle, then ran the pump until all gas was pumped out. I know there was probably a small amount left in the tank, but not worth the extra trouble to cut out the boat deck, etc. :wink: I use fuel stabilizer at all times, so after I pumped the gas out, I refilled the tank with a combo of old and new, and a new filter. Note: my boat seldom sits idle for more than 2-3 weeks, but I had a problem with moisture, and wanted to drain the tank. No problems whatsoever since then.