How to define a handgun in Indiana?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by MadKater, Mar 8, 2006.

1. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    I have a shotgun i converted into a "home defense" gun,its a mossberg 500 with a 21" bbl,pistol grip,bbl shroud,extended tube,ghost ring sights,mag lite & bracket...im wanting to sale this gun and i have a buyer but he is not sure if he needs a handgun permit to posses it. since i have a handgun permit for my pistols i wasnt able to give him the rite answer...so does anyone know the answer for this? does he need a permit to own this gun?..thanks

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    No he doesn't. But he may need the federal stamp (it's a kind of tax) which I think is $5.00. Probably be wise to check that with a gun dealer. If it for home defense and will never be taken off the property he wouldn't need a permit anyway as you wouldn't with a handgun...W

3. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    As long as you are leaving it at home and not trying to carry it then you won't need a permit. The permit is only for carrying.

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    All shotguns and rifles must have a barrel with a min. of 18 inches...they are considered long guns.Not sure of the legal definition of a handgun though.

5. Mr. Catfish

Mr. Catfish Member

State:
    Indianapolis, I
    I think the entire gun can't be shorter than 26 inches or it is illegal.

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    After a few minutes of google search-it seem like a handgun is a firearm designed to be operated and fired with one hand.

Not many shotguns are designed to meet that criteria.