how to cut "cut bait"?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bsites9, Jun 24, 2009.

1. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    going fishin this weekend. plan on using some livers and such, but also plan on catchin some perch and stuff, and using them as cut bait. whats the best bet on how to cut them? thanks guys.

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I usually steak em..Use the head and hook through the lip cut the tail off and throw it out and cut 2 more steaks from the body..

3. bigkat7698

bigkat7698 New Member

State:
    Bowling Green KY
    If they are small I cut the tail and use the whole fish but steak them if they are big enough...

4. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    That will work, cut a couple of slits down the side to. You could also just step on them, that will squish some guts and blood out of them. We've caught nice cats with them that way as well. :wink:

5. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    If I'm gonna cut them, I do like Keith says, just a slit here or there or a few pokes through the belly to let some fluid out. I prefer to leave the tail on myself; never saw the need to cut it off, especially if I'm killing it anyway. When they won't hit live, this is always the next step I take. That, and it's good stress relief to start stabbin helpless lil' fishies!!

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Cutting tails makes a fresh cut bait bleed out slowly. It is also done to reduce " helicoptering " of our bait while reeling in...especially in current of drift fishing. A spinning bait can become a pain ; )

-Jim-