How to cook catfish on the grill...

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by baptistpreach, Jul 23, 2007.

1. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I am wondering how to cook fish on the grill! I have heard something about basting it with butter, and putting lemon pepper or salt and pepper, but can anyone give me a recipe? Also, would you do the same thing for bass? Thanks and have a great day!

2. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    theres lots of good recipes in the diner.

& on a similar note, do you put tinfoil down on the grill when you grill your fish or do you put it on the grill as so?

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Scott, no foil, and depends on what kind of fish I'm grillin'. Most fillets are easier to handle if you use a fish grilling basket. Mine are shaped like fish, you've probably seen some. Fish STEAKS can normally just be put on "as so".

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Tanya I hope they don't look like them square ones. I cook mine with the skin on skin side down.Butter and any ingredients you want laying on tin foil.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Same here just season with anything you want ,brush a dab o butter on em and wait till the flesh is white and flakey

7. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    hey trick to grilling fish is to oil ur grill 1st and wait to flip ur fish it will let u no when its ready couse it wont stick to the grill to many ppl try n flip to early n complain that it sticks..well it sticks couse not done yet

8. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I use my smoker/grill. Just put them in the smoker side. No sticking and no flipping.

9. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Bass ain't fit to eat, why do you think they always throw em back on them there TV shows.... LOL :wink:

10. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

AMEN Brother Jerry!

11. duckriverdave

duckriverdave New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I take my fillets and brush some olive oil on both sides and and sprinkle both sides with Phil Robertson's Duck Commander Cajun Spice. I use the "red top" Zesty and my wife likes the original. The Zesty is really not that hot but it has a great flavor.

Memphis-Catfish-King is right. Wait until they are done before you flip them or they will stick.

I'm making me hungry for some right now! Grilled catfish and and big ole glass of sweet tea!!! :smile2:

drd

12. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    I've never grilled any catfish... or smoked em either. I might just have to give it a try though, fellas!

Dave

13. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    take ya filets and wash them good, soak them over night in salt water, rinse well!!!!!! Now salt and pepper to taste, cut ya some lemon slices, have coals hot and keep fish up aways so not to burn, take tin foil and make little boats for fish , cut up a big ole yeller onion and sprinkle on top, head for grill, and keep a eye on them usually when lemon slices start wilting or till ya can flake it !!!!! Now Im hungry!!!!:angry:

14. baitshop 2

baitshop 2 New Member

State:
    georgia
    I LOVE TO SEASON MINE WITH ITALION DRESSING AND CRAKERGIRL SEASON
    THE BASKET WORKS GREAT FOR ME TOOO>>>>>:tounge_out::big_smile:

15. 10uhcplz

10uhcplz New Member

State:
    Jackson Tenness
    Yeah....but instead of throwing them back, giv'um to me.....I have a special place for them.

16. rythymroach

rythymroach New Member

State:
    United States
    I have taken fillets and even whole fish (smaller ones) put them in a good measure of tin foil, with onions, lemon slices Limes and seasoning's and just tossed them in the coals, give it about 5 to 8 minutes depending on the fire's intensity and walla good steaming soft chunks of catfish heaven

17. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I have done grilled fish while using tin foil with butter and garlic (or whatever suits you). I have also grilled fish in a basket type holder that allows you to flip the fillets. Or you can simply put oil on the grate with low heat to keep the fillets from sticking. From there, I would say that only your imgination can limit you!