How to clean Crappie ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by Drawout, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Hey guys im looking for some hints on the best way to clean a crappie cause man they are good eating!

2. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just take an electric fillet knife or a regular fillet knife and lay the crappie flat on a cutting board. I slice down and away right behind the gills and then down to the tail. I dont cut the fillet completely off of the tail, but leave just a little bit left to flip the fillet over then cut the meat off leaving the skin still attached. Do this on both sides. After a couple of fish you will have it down pat and it takes less time than you can say "fry em up"!

Darrell

3. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I use a really sharp filet knife, cut from the back of the gills down to the tail. Following the backbone with my knife I cut as fine as I can around the rib cage, so I don't lose any meat. I cut pretty much cut the whole filet, but I leave it attached near the tail. Flip over the filet where the meat is now pointing up, and cut the skin off. Works pretty good.

I've attached a .jpg file that kind of shows the process. I've circled the area where I leave the one last piece of filet attached to the tail. Instead of cutting the whole thing off (like in the picture,) I just flip over the cut filet where the skin is touching the cutting board, and cut off the skin from that point. It works pretty good, but make sure you have a sharp filet knife. Hope this helps.

SudDawg

Attached Files:

4. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    So u dont have to scale em this way huh ?

5. OBXterraSC

OBXterraSC New Member

State:
    NC (Fort Sill, OK right now)
    I've always scaled them, cut the head off right behind the side fin, scoop the guts out with my fingers and wash and fry them whole. You have to watch for bones, but it's not too tough. And the tail fin is like a potato chip!

6. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Once you have the fillet off the fish you lay it skin down on your board and take your fillet knife and lay it at about a 30 degree angle, get under the meat and then just slip it down along the skin like your shaving off the meat. Once you do it right you'll laugh at how easy it is. No skin, no scales and I wash mine in cold water rubbing the meat between my thumbs feeling for bones. If I feel a bone, I cut out that section and keep washing. Cut them into small pieces because I like them crispy and start pigging out. I just cleaned my first crappies last night in years. I don't normally keep anything but a neighbor of mine wanted some crappie and he would clean them. Got home last night at 9:30, all his lights are off so I had to clean them. Decided if I'm cleaning them, I'm eating them. Took 30 minutes just to find a fillet knife, when I did find it it was dull as all get out, add time to sharpen it. They are done, in the fridge and will be dinner tomorrow night (Tue). But, back to my story, I haven't cleaned a fish in 20 years and it took me about minutes to do 10 so that isn't bad and.... no cuts! If you ever get a chance to see someone do it, you'll be set. I would believe you could find a video on the INTERNET that would show you how.

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I always fillet crappie. My favorite eating fish but Sunday we ate a Hybrid Stripper that I caught Tuesday. Wife thought it was the best fish she had ever eaten... I did too.

I use the same procedure as suddawg.

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I don't catch many Crappie but someone gave me a good way to cook a Carp.
    Take 1 medium carp, (Skinned)
    One or two large onions, (peeled)
    Two table spoons salt
    one garlic clove
    One Red Brick

Put all ingredients into a large pot and bring to a rapid boil. Cook on Medium High for about one hour. Throw away the Carp and eat the Brick!!!

9. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    HAH !!!

Brick just might be better.

10. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    Filets are awful hard to beat ... but a lot of white perch ( I just ain't never thought of em as crappie) are small and there ain't a whole lot of filet there.

Scale, cut the head off, scoop the guts, roll in cornmeal and fry.

( If you gonna be giving that young-un any be REAL careful of bones )

11. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Yes, eat the brick. Much better than Carp.

SudDawg

12. OBXterraSC

OBXterraSC New Member

State:
    NC (Fort Sill, OK right now)
    probably so! lol

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Actually, carp isn't bad tasting....but then, it's not good tasting either. Sorta like those really cheap frozen fish sticks that cost about $.89 a box.

Tip for any fish that you've always eaten with the skin on. Next batch you clean, fillet the skin off a couple and make sure you can identify them after cooking. Do a taste test between the fish with skin and the fish without skin. Now, I can't guarantee that you'll prefer the fish without skin, but you'll definitely be able to tell a big difference in the taste. Most people do prefer it without the skin.

14. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Crappie are like Rasberries.....they sure are good, but it takes alot to make a meal. The only real big ones I've seen came from a farm pond that wasn't fished in years. I usually believe in catch & release....but I had to introduce them to HOT GREASE! (Yum, Yum)