How to choose a spot?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by harper81, Apr 8, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I am new to catfishing and new to the area I live in now and I am going to start fishing in a lake nearby. I don't know what is even in the lake, but it is a South Carolina DNR lake so it should in theory be well taken care of. There is a limit of three catfish per person on this paticular lake so they must be in there.

Now what exactly do you look for when approaching a new lake? Its only 70 acres and you can fish for the most part the entire way around it. I have attached a pic from google maps to show the layout of the lake.

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Harper81

Welcome Aboard!!

Depends on which cat my freind. Go to the libary and also your State and see 'When, Where & How" the others are gettin them.

:big_smile:

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It's hard to tell without being there. All I can say is to pick a spot and go from there. Try several different baits, and spots 'till ya hook up. Good luck.

4. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    the Kat said it best. just go out and explore the lake. Welcome to the BOC

5. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I assume that you are not fishing from a boat.
    So
    Move around.
    "Pick a spot and" start from there.
    Watch where the others are fishing.
    Look for high banks may indicate deep water close by.
    Look for structure.
    Look for feeder streams.
    Fish the channel formed by the old creek bed.
    Fish old road beds.
    This is a new computer so I cannot say for sure but it looks like if you study the blackness of the water there may be structure showing the old terraine. This may be a hint as to where the holes are where fish congregate.
    best of luck
    just

6. Ryan11r

Ryan11r New Member

State:
    Newton Kansas
    The best thing I can tell you is Look in the trash cans around the lake (OR If its like my lake on the shore line) For empty bait packages. See what others are using. Its pretty easy to tell around here where folks have been fishing and where they have been catching. Ask the local bait shop.

7. LITTLE FISH

LITTLE FISH New Member

State:
    New Paris, Ohio
    I dont wat to tell ya but look around and try different things Good Luck

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Bill welcome to the BOC!

9. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Depending on the depth, if I were bank fishing, I would first try off the wooded points on either side of the north end, early morning or early to later evening. Maybe try the "bump" to the south-west after that.

Let us know were you find 'em!

10. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Welcome Bill and Scott

11. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Welcome to the BOC brother! For all the spots that I fish, I scout them out in the day time. I look for anything protruding from the water that might indicate structure of some sort. Your spots and baits will generally depend on what type of cat you're looking for. There's a lot of info in the library here. Good luck and happy fishing!

12. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Welcome to the BOC!

Heres my two cents.......

Spring time, the cats seem to feed more in the shallows at dusk and night. Summer time, they like the deep spots to keep cool and feed mostly at night.
    But Ive found them in shallows in the summer, and deep waters during spring. They wander and look for food like buffalo roaming the prairies.
    Best of luck to ya!

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here in Arkansas you can pretty well tell which waters are stocked by the F&G, because they put a daily limit of 3 or 5 cats on it. Usually, they also don't let you fish there using any method but a single rod & reel. I rarely fish these waters, so I can't give you any first hand info, but from what I've read, those hatchery fish don't always act just like their wild cousins. I get the impression that they're more likely to be attracted to prepared baits; chumming with some type of grain can be even more productive than with wild catfish; like stocked trout, a large percentage of the stocking is caught within a few days of stocking, right near the stocking location.

14. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    I can't tell from the photo, but there must be a tributary flowing into that lake somewhere. That's where I'd set up first. Cat's like the mouths of rivers and tributaries because the water is more oxygenated and food's more plentiful. That's one reason why dam's and rivers are known for good catfishing. There will sometimes be a deep hole carved out from the water flowing into the lake that can hold fish. Try fan casting your baits in that area and see what happens.

15. jrh_67

jrh_67 New Member

State:
    texas
    If there are baitfish...like shad in there. Wait until the wind has been blowing for a couple days in the same direction and fish the windblown points, With the wind right in your face. Use fresh cut bait from within the lake. Works good for me! This method seems to work the best for me right as a storm is rolling in but will also work in any weather. This is how i daytime fish for cats.

16. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Don't know exactly, but I would figure that your choices are point, cove, flat or creek channel. I think the points and coves are fairly self-explanatory. The picture seems to show a feeder creek at the top and a small dam in the lower right. If it was me, I would try each type of spot until I found something that worked. This time of year the feeder creek or the cove up near the feeder might be good.

17. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Not knowing depth, structure, or anything else its a bit hard to say.
    Going strictly off the photo, attached is where I would start personally.

A&B are close in my starting order. Looks like that "cove" has great vegitation around it and the little cut outs, etc look promising. Possibly a tad shallower there than main lake?

B offers being able to fish out into the mouth and into the cove from one spot

C looks to offer off the point as well as up into the hooked cove. If there is a flat near it, would be a good spot..

D would be spot of last resort, to change things up if the first 3 didnt produce.

Like I say, without actually seeing it person and know NOTHING about the lake, hard to say.

Attached Files:

18. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    being a native from SC i might be able to help you out. when you are fishing any new water for cats (and i have learned this from experience from having to move all around the world and find new spots everytime) look for the basics.
    1. timber, laydowns, or logs in the water. prime locations for cats
    2. if there is a spill way fish toward it. may work
    3. use diffrent baits until you figure out what they are wanting
    4. dont give up if you have a rough start. they may not be turned on yet or you may have went at a bad time. if you know there are fish there then just keep trying. eventually it will pay off. i have seen some big cats come out of some small waters.

if it were me i would take the good old standby baits. chicken livers and nightcrawlers are my personal favorites for locating them. go with what you know works, it may be something diffrent for you. and dont be afraid to try things out of the norm. how do you think they discovered ivory soap and french fries work for catfish.

good luck and hope you catch a good un