How to Catfish Through the Ice????

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by channelcat_tracker, Jul 19, 2006.

1. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    how would i catfish through the ice??? and what would they eat??? what baits??? thanks cuz my local fishin ponds are stocked with catfish EVERYWHERE! so i want to try and catch them!

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Has it already gotten that cold in Iowa??? I wasn't aware that Ice was a big problem this time of year, LOL!!!

3. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    You would have to cut a nice big hole in the ice to pull them through though. Never ice fished for cats, so im not even sure.

4. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    yea JW im tellin yea. its gotta be around 40 below! :sad2: :sad2: brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr im telling you, i cant even go outside!:lol:

5. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    occasionaly I get one when pike fishing but its usually on dead shiners or herring I guess cutbait would be a good choice cause they seem to prefer natural bait when cold

6. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Man I here on the chilly side. Got up to 105 this week. Finally I can take off my jacket

The way I usually do it this time of year. I throw bag of frozen fish in sink to thaw out.
    Then corm meal with a little flour, deep fry 3 to 5 minutes. Easy stuff.
    Today for lunch, eating it now, I thawed out some fresh frozen Salmon, blacken it in Cajun, onion , cook fries, green beans, couple Jal peppers. :cool2:
    --------------------------------------
    There or some icefisherman on here that might tap in and give you some tips. Think there are some post in library about it. Not sure of that.

7. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Dude it's july and you wanna go ice fishin? you tired of all the great weather we having here in iowa? i'm loving this 95 + or - degree weather here. been out there in the -30 it's no fun.

8. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i would just be wishing for ice not preparing for it

9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Try a big treble hook baited with a $5 bill and cast it into the seafood dept at Kroger.

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have never targeted channels through the ice in natural lakes or reservoirs, but i have caught them in old gravel pits. in gravel pits it seemed all the fish would roam the basin (deepest area) in search of food and chasing shad and minnows. on the bottom would be the cats, saugeye, gills, walleye, etc, then higher up would be crappie. i targeted crappie most of the time with bass minnows and if i would fish close to the bottom i would occasionally pick up a channel. i fished with tip-ups once there for channels and caught about 7 one day fishing with cut chubs right off the bottom.

11. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Some of those in fisherman guys have done it. I bet there is some thing on their web site.