How to catch, use and keep skipjak.

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by smoofs71, May 4, 2008.

1. smoofs71

smoofs71 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I live on the cumberland river just between Nashville and Cheatham dam. I have had alot of luck catching shad in a cast net and using them live to catch catfish. I just drift the river and bump them along the bottom and do really well. As I have fished more and more, I talk to alot of people that use and swear by skipjack. How do I catch them and how do you store them to use later????? Then when you fish them................do you just cut them up and put it on a circle hook?

2. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Catch them below dams and in the steam plant harbors(wintertime) usually on crappie jigs or sabaki rigs. You can usually do okay just using jigs but sometimes sabaki rigs will out produce. Take about 3 jigs and tie them about 6 inches apart and cast and reel. As far as storing them we just put in ziplocks and freeze. When we fish with them we typically just steak them and use whole steaks for bigt fish or smaller strips of meat and the guts for smaller ones. Also the head is a great bait for big ones. Just watch people casting and reeling and you will see where people are getting them from. You can catch them two and three at a time when they are running good. Hope this helps

3. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Matt. You will find all you need here. You may also look at the BOC library,you will find all sorts of good stuff there.
    smokey

4. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    Welcome Matt and I learned fron Kittycatcher that skips are easy to catch and found out Saturday they are a blast. They fight like the end of the world and can out tail walk a smallmouth. They are a hoot to catch as bait. I have taken to skip fishing Saturday and Cat fishing Sunday with wife. I have not been there when they are really on, but I can't imagine anything more fun.

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    welcom to the boc from alabama, the catfish infomation forum

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC. This site is full of great info and people.

The skips are almost impossible to catch in a cast net. I use a series of 2 or 3 lead head, curly tail jigs. Primarily white or green. I vary my retrieval fast and slow until I figure out what they want. To store them I place 3-5 in in a bag and vacuum seal them with a small amount of their own juices. To fish with skips I typically steak cut them into 3-5 chucks based on the size of water I am fishing. I hope this helps and good luck

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Skipjack don't keep very well at all. They either need to be used right away or stored in the refrig or freezer till ready to be used. Cut them up and use what ever kind of hook you want. We use them live sometimes to catch a big striper or flathead.:wink:

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Matt! I've never seen any difference in how sabiki rigs or crappie jigs produce; they work equally well. Basically, use your skipjack like you would a big shad. I cut mine into chunks, steaks, or thirds, depending on the size. While fishing, keep your skipjack on ice, just as you would shad. However, you will find that skipjack freeze much better than shad. I almost always use frozen skipjack, because fresh is so hard to get. (I go 250 miles, each way, to stock up for the year.) Freezing techniques can be as simple as wrapping them in plastic wrap. putting them into ziploc bags, or vacuum sealing them. One big difference between skipjack and shad: the skipjack have a much larger gut, and it's tough, so it stays on the hook well....makes a good bait by itself.

9. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC. Try using white jigs, for skipjack. There is a little white spoon that really kills them. I'll have to get a picture of one and put it on here. If you have any kids that like to fish or want to start fishing here is your opportunity. There easy to catch and put a fight. We call them Tennessee tarpon. Have fun and be safe below the dams.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    White is definitely a good color to start with; if I had to go with only one color, it would be white. But sometimes I do better with red & white, blue & white, or some other combination. Crappie jigs are cheap so I can carry an assortment of both heads and curlytails/tubes. I have no doubt that a white or silver spoon would really kill them, but those cost a lot more than crappie jigs, and I've lost so many jigs that I shudder to think of what that many spoons would have cost me. Maybe it would be worth keeping a couple on hand just in case I quit catching skipjack on just about every cast with jigs?

11. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    MATT,

WELCOME TO THE BOC FROM SO. ALABAMA HOPE YOU WILL ENJOY ALL THE INFO THAT YOU CAN GET HERE

HAPPY FISHING:big_smile:

12. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I primarily just use white jigs for the skippies. They seem to work best for me anyway. Fun to catch too.