How to catch stripers?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by SC Hartwell, Dec 2, 2006.

1. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    What should I use and do to catch striper. I am trolling live Herring on lead core and drift rigs with no luck. I am fishing local lake Hartwell, with no luck although I have caught some nice bass this way. Please help! O yeah I know about umbrella rigs, do they really help that much?

2. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    i dont know alot about it either, but I have caught them with planner boards, and free lines.

3. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    my suggestion would be,i dont fish hartwell,but it works for us at wateree and murray,look for the birds flying and diving to the water chasing shad,the striper are underneath pushing the bait to the top,try casting little fishy [rubber bodied shad replicas] into the schools, rattle traps,buck tails and some small spoons work also,but the little fishy is the best,you wanna know what size bait they are eating though,if ya get one cut him open and see what size bait is in him,mostly at wateree lately they been eating shad about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long, it is alot of running around chasing the birds but if they are schooling,you cant beat the results,if the fish are suspended try tightlining with live bait,either shad,herring or bass minnows[shiners] if ya can find em in your area,i would use about 1.5 or 2 ounce egg sinkers to hold the bait down at the desired depth,also try freelining 1 or 2 out the back as you drift along,this works for us the best,hope it gets ya started,good luck

4. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Sounds good to me. Basically fish like you are going for largemouth. Are you talking about SuperFlukes (little fishy)? I have a wide variety of superflukes. I have kind of a pearlescent white superfluke, I think that would be the best bet for the shad they are hitting right now.

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Jason a blue and white lil fishie works real good when they are schooling. they are prob feeding on real small bait so large herring may be alittle tough. but you will get better fish just not great numbers. this time of yr the fish will be stacked all around twin lakes till prob the first of march. freelines work real well. dont know if you have a trolling motor but if you do put out about4 rods out the back about50 ft or so with herring and no weight and let your trolling motor pull you around with your rods on free spool so the fish will feel no resistance when they bite. hit points and wind blown banks. if you can find a big cove that the wind is blowing into start at the back of that cove and work your way out. also from the mouth of creeks all the way to the back will be good. try shallow and deep. also the big cove beside twin lakes is a good spot. there were 2 ponds there before the lake was flooded, you can find them on your fish finder and also you can find the dam between them, both sides of the dam are good. try this area early if its not working move and try it on your way in, in the evening. I been wanting to go but i am covered up with work right now till after christmas, its gonna be hard to do our cat tourny but got to get it while i can.

6. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Yea I got a good trolling motor, I also have some lead core I can use to troll. So I don't use any weights when I fee line?

7. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    no weights some people use a swivel to keep line from twisting but that is up to you.if you can see it on your fish finder it will make you sick to watch a fish come off the bottom all the way to the suface and back down and not take your bait.

8. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I know how it is, I bass fish a lot... I fish a lot of weightless superflukes (my favorite is a baby bass color scheme) and just hate it when I have a big bass hit it and I can't make the hook up, however those things will catch fish when they aren't biting :big_smile: !

9. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    I catch both Strippers and Cats on fresh water clams. Plain and simple. Drift or from shore, either way.

10. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    A fishing buddy of mine and several others have been having great success with "umbrella rigs" Multiple jigs and plastic on one line. It looks like a school of bait fish, and the stripers love it.... Legality might be a porblem... Search the words on line.....
    Personally, I like a free floating anchovie or split shot rig. When trolling, use a 3 way sinker with a buck tail jig feeliing the bottom, and then behind that use a spoon bill diver.... works well on the Sacramento Delta.... adjust for fish depth...

bayrunner ray

11. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    U-rigs work well on hartwell at times, but from what i hear they get pretty expensive because of all the flooded forest in the lake. I havent used them because i prefer live bait except in the spring when i use cut bait. but people say its real easy to get them hung and then lose them.

12. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    How should I try for strippers this time of year? Free line, trolling or what? I know there are a lot of sea gulls out there so I may just look for them. Just let me know what you guys think!

13. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    This time of year I follow the birds. We use bucktails and Ice Flies mostly.

14. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    Jason this use to be my favorite time of yr. If i was going i would use freelines in areas where the birds are working. If the birds are just sitting on the water there prob. wont be much happening you want to look for birds feeding. there are alot of striper tournies on hartwell this time of yr so you may see alot of boats in areas that are producing fish.

15. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Good I am excited! I will probably free line and drift with some weights. When you free line do you use herring? I wonder If I could try a bunch of pearl superflukes.

16. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    Jason when i striper fish i always use live bait except in the spring when i cut bait for them. I will cast to them if they come up close enough to me though. or maybe jig a small spoon if i get on alot of fish that arent biting. as far as free lining a fluke i have no clue there.

17. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Thanks man you seem to know a lot about this stuff!

18. 4JS

4JS Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I troll a lot for them, with fairly good success.
    If you are in deep water, > 30 ft try a bait by "MANN" called a "Stretch 25".
    This is a large diving lure that is huge, but really works well.

19. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)

I have found a BMW in the parking lot and a big stack of 1$ bills works well for strippers!!:big_smile: :big_smile:

Sorry,couldn't resist!!

20. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    Jason back when i worked 3rd shift i would striper fish atleast 3 times a week during the winter months. It takes awhile to learn them because they move so much. then my first trip to santee done in my striper fishing very seldom get to do it anymore. but they do seem easier at times than catfishing though.