How to catch stripers at Lake Hartwell right now

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by captaincat, Aug 28, 2008.

1. captaincat

captaincat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Wait til dark. Put in at Singing Pines ramp (still open) and head towards the dam. When you see a RED buoy on the right (past the point on the right with a shoal marker on it) keep cruising straight til you are in 145" of water. Put out your anchor and turn on your crappie lights or sodium light. Put down at least 8 live herring at 50 feet deep. Wait 45 minutes.
    When rods go down, reel in stripers. If stripers are too large to handle - cut the line and start over.
    Went last night for three hours, caught 4 beauties, lost four, including a PIG on first hit. Guy I fished with was using only 14 lb. test. (wanted to hurt him) Wimpy line cost us 4 biggest fish. Fish are there in great numbers, trust me. We watched fish on the depthfinder coming right up from 70 and 80 feet deep to hit our baits.

Kids: Don't try this at home. Fish there only with adult supervision.
    Don't say I never put you on the fish.
    CaptCat

2. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    tandfih:smile2:

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    LOL, you know I'm LMAO big time on that one Steve

CJim,,,,,,,,
    Sounds like us 3 stooges need to all get our lights and batteries and meet at the boat house soon ; )~

-Jim-

Hm, I thinkin we need to hunt down Larry. He has been lurking but pretty tight lipped lately. I aint talked to him since he went shark hunting.

4. captaincat

captaincat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Steve & Coz: Yer dern tootin' we need to get together soon. U wouldn't believe all the fish we marked in just two hours in 145' of water. I can fish almost any night. Let's DO IT!!! Also - find Larry & git him 2 go 2.
    CJ

5. captaincat

captaincat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I visited my boat at the shed last night before fishing w/ Doug. Not only did it tell me it missed me, but it asked me about you both. Toons misses you both & wonders why you haven't come to see her in months. When I told her that Steve now had his own boat & that Coz was bankfishing, she was deeply hurt. "They haven't called, they haven't written, they haven't sent me no flowers," she wimpered. So I polished her pontoons a little & swept her deck. I think she'll be OK now.

6. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Yea Jim.....It's been awhile since I punched in the gate code and got to hear that beautiful little " beep,beep,beep " it does while the gate opens, LOL .

You do me a favor and don't tell toon's bout all them kittys I been catchin and eating all that deer meat off the bank. We don't want her to give me jealously problems out on that big open water we fixin to hit.

Steve and I got two tin cans with a long string attached in the middle. Since we got your call all and saw your post our cans aint stopped ringin since.

We'll all figure it out....lookin like next week asap ? I know we are all tight on money so lets somehow try and pull a rabbit outta the hat.

We are glad ya finally got back out and caught some CJim. I'm gonna be over at Steve's Saturday to work on my tank......holler at me at my house or at Steve's.......

Make it so ; )
    -Jim-

Oh...btw..... I guess folks can now figure out my nickname is " Coz ", LOL.

7. captaincat

captaincat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Since my cell phone bill this month was double what it normally is, I GOTTA get me one of those can/string phones! (Does Alltel sell those?)
    You're right - we gotta git out there ASAP to the dam. They're waitin' for us. Any night you can make it this coming week let me know. I'm going again with Doug (hopefully) on Saturday night after work. See if Steve & you can go in his boat at the same time, eh? I'm not sure yet what time we're going, but I'll sure let you know.
    I've called that guy who has my net several times, he never called me back. Guess I'll be buying a net. (sob!) CJ

8. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Now was that phone bill double because you talked twice as much or cause you aint paid it in two months, LOL.

I will try and call Steve today but I know he has a long work day today and I'm celebrating the wife's b-day ; )

He will see this and you guys talk it out. As long as I'm home by 5:30pm Monday I'm good to go, LOL. I aint fished in a week... That's just not right !!!!!!!

Oh.. what's the herring report Jim...did they show or just the little minnows ? Are we gonna need a 100' rope on our cast nets, LOL.......j/k

-Jim-

9. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Ok Steve..... My tin can rang and it was CJim. Attack plan #1 is he is gonna be at my house @ 8:30pm Sunday night....Are ya in ? I would hate to have to bring Jonny in your place, LOL.

20% chance of rain, 3mph winds and clear skies starting around 1am...does it get any nicer ?

I know, I know football...bla, la, bla. Ya wanna fish or watch a bunch of guys run around after a ball ? Record it or you'll have to look at my pic's on Monday morning....you're choice. You know I gotta mess with ya ; )~

All this crap talkin I'm doin and I prolly wont catch a thing, LOL. I'm excited already and now my anxiety is gonna kick in........I just might have to pop a top to calm down.

Ok...now where is Larry ?

-Jim-

See ya in the mornin Steve.

10. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    CJim...it's on buddy. Bambu is in !!!!! Therefore the dog is gonna have to stay home again....boy does that dog get pissed off when I leave without him.

Dunno about tonight....Steve didn't bite that hook, LOL . Even though we are all goin Sunday I gotta go TODAY !!!!!!!!! Labor day weekend means I'm gonna have to fight for a spot but that's ok. That river has foot print all up and down her shore and 90% of them prints are mine ; )~ I will find me somewhere to fish.

Idea... you boys wanna come to my house early Sunday and eat ? I got more deer meat that needs to be ate up and I'm willing to cook some up for yas ; )

Its a small world after all.......... Well...it is. I run with a really good crowd of boys here in Liberty. In fact, the deer meat comes from these guys. Well come to find out there is another BoC brother that lives down the road from me. My buddy Bobby knows him cause they are almost neighbors. I've worked for Bobby and actually did his windows and siding on his home. Long story short we are gonna have ta meet him. I wont say his name yet but he told Bobby he has seen me on the BoC. I looked around at posts but I didn't see the name yet.

I've prolly been around more BoC guys at the " Good times " bait shop but never knew who they were. I aint been there in a few weeks but I live on the same road as the shop ; )

Well I'm done jackin my jaws...I think the coffee buzz makes me write a lot LOL

Ya'll let me know know much deer I gotta take out da freezer.

Anyone else that lives in my neck of the woods and wants to come on over eat with us don't be shy..... Pm me and I will shoot ya the address.

Ok...... I gotta get to moving. I've got to stop at a few friends houses and then make it to Bambu's house.

11. captaincat

captaincat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I really enjoyed fishin' with you two. Seven hits, five fish...not too shabby! I think we could have done even better if we had fished straight out from Gilligan's Island in 145' of water, but that's the plan for Tuesday night. I'll pick you up at 12:30 am, eh?
    BTW - Doug had zero hits, zero fish, 130' depth. CJ

12. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    I missed your call last night but I'm ready tonight if ya wanna fish. Should be calm and cool out.

I slept all day and early evening...didnt hear the phone ring...I was out, LOL .
    I think we should be able to do a lot better but live and learn..it is a new area for us ; )

13. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Dadgum it....Why did I move out of Pickens Co.? Good Lord only knows. Sounds like theres a ton'a BOC brothers up there. Good luck to y'all....

14. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    That's funny...and sometimes I wish I lived closer to Greenwood, ; )~

-Jim-

15. flat_head_fred

flat_head_fred New Member

State:
    ok
    hope there still there when i come home miss stiper fishin

16. felwise

felwise New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Nice picture. Fished this past sat. and caught one striper near the dam. I am going back tomorrow morning (tuesday), any suggestions?

17. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Well your already gone but....

Fish are hitting planer boards and free lines now . Best time is before daylight and shortly after. Start up by points etc early . Eventually by mid-morning they are feeding out toward the channel so watch for them.

Bambu and CJim made it out there a few days ago, I stayed here and cat fished. One more thing we agree on is to bring some small bait or threadfins, not just big herring.

Steve can tell ya more about the other day and how he did it. We all fished together last week and that's pretty much the pattern atm. Lots of small fish up the creeks now also ...it wont be long.

g'luck.. I hope this helps you some.

18. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    yeah what jim said:smile2: seriously he is right also watch for boils shollow early and moving out as the sun gets higher, right now its hard to catch them we were all over fish but unless there schooling on top the dont seem to want herring, i think there feeding on threadfins good luck and let us know how you do