how to catch skipjack

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by jasonminitruck, Nov 12, 2008.

1. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I hear people talking about skipjack and how good of a bait it is all the time. COuld any one tell me where to find them i fish watts bar and strawberry plains alot are they there, and what baits, rigs should i use to catch them? Do you fish the sameway for them as a blue gill. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    Well i dont have skippies hear in utah, but from what i have heard and learned. You can catch them using what is called a sabiki rig. They are basically a length of line that has bout five small jigs on it. They can be homemade or purchased through catfish connection. Ya just bomb it out usually below a dam tailrace and crank it back. Hope you find this helpful, :wink: if not i am sure you will get some first hand info soon from a more knowledgeable fellow.:cool2:

3. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    Pretty much what Tyler said. You can also use white curly tails. However, I have found sabikis to be consistently better. They usually feed on schools of shad of minnows. If you look around and see shad flipping out of the water, it's usually the skipjack raiding their school that is making them flip out. Sometimes they are in the middle of the tailwater, sometimes they are off to the edges in the calmer water. If you use the smaller sabikes (6 or 8) you will usually catch smaller skippys. I usually use a 12 or 14. Hope this helps.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Start out by fishing current breaks in swift water using a rapid retrieve. If that doesn't work, try slower retrieves, adding some weight to sink the lures, different colors, etc. But for me, 75% of the time, a rapid retrieve and shad colored lures work best.

5. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Does anyone have a pic of the sabiki rig. Thanks for all the help so far.

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jason. Some good info above .

7. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
  8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I fished the Tennessee rivers and lakes for over 30 years and can tell you that they are loaded with skipjacks every where. I usually just tie on 3-4 jigs spaced 12" apart and of different weighted jig heads starting at 1/16 oz stepped up to 1/4 oz...this keeps them from tangling up and gives you great casting distances. Try slow retrieves and fast retrieves and you will find them at steamplants and dams and we catch them here in western kentucky just casting out into the river channel and bringing up fast onto shallow flats. Good Luck!!!:cool2:

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    All great info, these guys have really taken good care of putting you on the skips, Just make sure you take a bucket or cooler or you will not be able to haul them all home!

10. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I always use sabiki rigs, but I have tried to make my own. I don't know how you tie 3 or 4 jigs 12" apart. I tried making loops, but when I try to run it through the eye of the jig, it won't fit. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

11. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I just make a bite and then cinch it down, no special knots or anything for me. It helps to put a small sinker on the bottom to keep the jigs from tangling.

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    :cool2:

I usually use a 6' piece of 20# mono for my rigs. I start by tieing on the first 1/4 oz jighead at the end of the line with a reliable knot. I then put the (single)line through the eye of the next sized jighead and run it down to where it is 12" away from the first jighead. I then take the jig and give it about a 3" loop in the line and tie it with a double wrap and sinch it down tight leaving the jighead about a 2" loop....this gives the jig plenty of freedom of movement and does not hinder the performance. Repeat this process until all your jigs have a 2" drop loop and to finish the rig...I tie a small barrel swivel to the end. I keep several of these pre-tied rigs ready for service. All you have to do then is tie 1 knot. I hope this made sense. My rigs look very similar to sabaki rigs...but cost much less. The reason for the heavier leader line is because I have hooked several skipjacks at one time and the knots will break with lighter lines. Also ...you never know when some big Striper or monster cat just might want that skipjack before you get it into the bank. I have had this happen on more than one occasion. So my styles have changed over the years to accomodate for the occasional lucky Monster hook-up.:cool2:

13. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a good technique, thanks for sharing

14. razorwire

razorwire New Member

State:
    Florida*Required*
    Thank you for the information.

15. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I dont know about anybody else but I have had the best sucess with a small to medium size white roostertail. I usually add 1 splitshot for some added casting distance. You have to watch out when you hook a bigger skip because the will sometimes bend the hook. Just check it after several have been caught.

16. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    The most important step, at least for me, is to drive to another state where they are present.:roll_eyes: