How to catch Skipjack

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by Salty1, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I always buy my Skipjack but would like to catch some and was wondering what rig to use besides a sabiki rig to catch them. Any info would be great. Thanks in advance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    crappie jig ,spoons , several diffirent ways

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    One of the most common ways is to use two 1/16 oz jigs tied about 14" apart. Use the curly tail grubs (1-1/2 '") Colors of white or charteuce.

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    In Ky. you can use 3,4or 5 jigs tied to a leader type line with a 1/2 to 3/4 oz sinker on the end to improve casting distance. I tie my jigs about a foot apart and use 3 of them most of the time. with 3/4 oz sinker. Jig size can be 1/16 or 1/32 oz. Do you live close to a lock and dam?? That is a great place to catch them. Where the swift water breaks into slower moving water.Light spinning equipment is a good choice of r/r.. Hope this helps.

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I think the jigs produce larger Skipjack than the Sabiki rig. I usually tie a Dropper loop to loop the jigs to about 12" apart. Good luck on catching your bait. It's half the fun of catfishing.

6. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    what is a Sabiki rig.

7. Big-Blue

Big-Blue New Member

State:
    Louisville,KY
    How long do the skippies stay in the Ohio, as far as from what month do you start catching them to what month are they normally gone?

Never fished for them, have always used shad but shad are hard for me to come by around this time of year.

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    It is like a leader with a number of fly like lures on Dropper loops on it.

9. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    here is a pic of the set up I use but you can fish for them the same as you were crappie fishing some times if the skipp bite is slow I have found that jigging a tube works much better.
    pic is my rig and is set up like this-- I like to run 4 or 5 1 inch curly tails and keep them 4 to 6 inches apart and like to keep weight on end about 6 to 10 inches from the last curly tail.

Attached Files:

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I'm not sure. This is the 1st year I have ever fished for the Skippies. Until June I had no Idea what they even looked like.

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    This is the technique that I use. This time of year you should be able to catch them right there in the Salt river, especially if you move out to where it comes into the ohio there in west point. If you don't have anyluck there, go upriver to the electric plant and use this same technique at the discharge. Good luck brother!!

By the way, catching these darn things is addicting!

12. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I went to the Harrison boat ramp today and fished from shore on the other side from the electric plant and caught nothing, but oh well. It's tough sometimes from the shore but I will give it another try soon. Good thing I can buy all the skippies I want any time of the year !!!!!!!! Thanks for all the great info guys !!!!!!!!!!!

13. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    I usually do my best early in the morning or late in the evening. They seem to slow/stop during the midday heat. Went to KY dam today and had NO luck:confused2:. Moved to Barkley and caught around 30 around sunset. They are a blast to catch. I use curly tails or #14 sabikis.

14. EKYHunter

EKYHunter New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg, Kentucky
    Where do you buy your Skippies?

15. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I buy the at Catfish Jeffs on Blue Lick Road in the Cedar Heights shopping center

16. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I use piscator rigs but ive met some people that make there own with flies they have bought and then they just made there own set up.Skipjack around here are expensive to buy around here $14 for six large ones. What I like to do is take a large cooler and a bunch of ice and a fishing buddy or two and go out and spend a few hours catching them if there really biting you can catch hundreds.