How to catch skipjack

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by Tryffel, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Tryffel

Tryffel New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I've been wanting really bad to get my hands on some skipjacks and try them on the river, thing is though the only way everyone seems to get them is to catch them at a dam or something. The bad thing is that i live atleast 2-3 hours or so from a dam that i know of. I've heard of people catching them off jigs and curly tails close to the bank and was wondering if that would be worth my time or not.

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We have been catching them at the lake. No need to go to the Dam. Just find a place where you can reach the main river channel and where there is a flat that warms in the sunny afternoons. You should be able to catch all you want.:crazy:

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The key is that they collect in areas with alot of current and ones that normally have water temps that is higher than the rest of the river. They bite best on sunny days. Tie these things together and there should be skips.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    In the river, the swiftest part is often right off the end of rock dikes, if you have them; skippies seem to prefer the faster water.

5. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I live 3 hrs from Pickwick Dam and it is worth the trip! Get some 2 1/2 gallon ziplock baggies or a vacum sealer and your rod and some white crappie jigs and curley tails and go get some bait! It makes for a tiring and fun day, but................................................................Its cheaper than buying it here for 2-3dollars a pound froze for 6 months!:wink: Come August, you'll be glad you did!!!!

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    you can use a throw net to catch them

7. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i went last week to ky. dam we got over 600 in one trip. a hole yr. of bait for most fisherman.