How to catch skip jack?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by mattoonboy4, Jul 8, 2008.

1. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    hey ya'll, i'm a kaskaskia/embarras rivers native and have historically used live blue-gill for bait. However, me n my catfishin buddies have recently started to fish the ohio river at golconda/bay city and i'm interested in an easy way(if any) to catch skip jack? and where? thanks guys...

2. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    I live over at Charleston....I fish the Ohio some and the Wabash... I find skip jack over at darwins ferry and at hudsonville...I fish the Ambraw and the Kaskaskai too.I live a few 1000 yard's from the ambraw...at charleston

3. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    So are you netting them slick or are you catching them w/ rod and reel? I've heard of ppl catching skip jack with rod and real using white twister tails.

Hopefully we can net them. I'm pretty good at throwin the net, uh mattoonboy? :smile2:

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ryan very few skipjack are caught by net. Use the white curly tail gigs and check out the mouths of creeks and behind wing dams or current breaks. This should work at smithland.

5. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've heard a lot about wing damns and still have no idea what one is. Can you describe for me?

Thats what i like to hear about fishin with the rod and reel. Thanks for the clarification on that. I was with catpound and mattoonboy this weekend fishing the Ohio in the smithland area. I took the 'big dip' while trying to net bait below a steep bridge. I broke my tail bone and my pride :eek:oooh:.

So do skip jack keep very well? Are they similar to blue gill when it comes to keeping them alive before using them?

Sorry to hi-jack your thread big-bizbank

6. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Wing dams are the rip-rap juddies you see extending from the river bank out perpendicular to the river. They're used to divert current into the main channel for barge navigation. You might want to be careful right now because most of them are probably submerged, and can do a heck of a job on your boat and lower unit! They're also a great place to find catfish. As far as i know, Skipjack die pretty fast(much like shad do) unless properly placed in an aerated baitwell. If you plan on fishing with skipjack often, you can buy pre-rigged "sabiki" (SP) rigs out of most saltwater catalogs that work just as good on skipjack as they do on saltwater baitfish and save time tying multiple jigs on one line.

7. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    I catch mine on tube jig's [white ] and curly tail's [white]..mouth of creek's in the wabash is where I find most of mine....they don't keep to good....

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Most of us here in Kentucky use the small curly tail grubs or sabiki rigs. White and chartruese seem to be the best colors. Best times are at dust and dawn.

9. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Every one is pointing you in the right direction. I can keep shad alive, but skipjacks die very quickly. They are used mainly as cut bait, and are hard to beat. Mickey is right I catch very few in a cast net.

10. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks for all yer ideas guys, i really appreciate it. maybe me n good ol' IL_CATFISH and CATPOUND will just stick with blue gill since they stay alive so much better, and if we feel the urge to try for some blue cats we will catch some skipjack for cut bait.

By the way IL_CATFISH, that dip in the creek earned you a 50 lb flatty! haha. why the heck dont u have that one your profile pick?

11. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm waiting to get some pics back from my mom. she had the camera out and the pics were a lot better than the ones from my phone.