How to catch shad

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by Rajun_Cajun, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    well i am just begining to learn how to throw a cast net, so technicely you can call me a n00b. but like when your trying to catch shad, can you catch them on like some sort of sibiki rig? or can you only catch them on castnet? if you know please tell me because this time of the year just when the cats are startin to come out and feed, it seems like there really hittin the shad hard. :004:
    :0a35:

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Cory: I find that the easiest way to catch shad is to light a stick of dynamite, and chuck it lol. Cast nets are usually the way that people use to catch shad, since they eat a lot of plankton and stuff and can be difficult to catch if you are using lures (Im not saying impossible, just difficult). As for sabiki rigs, I have mostly heard of people using them for skipjack. Im not sure if you can use them in KS though, since they have a limit of 2 hooks per line. Im not sure if using more than two would constitute as a trotline/setline or not, but either way, I have never done it.

:0a26:

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Rajun , take your cast net to Olathe Lake Creek, on Dennis Ave. Here for the next 3 weeks, the shad should really be moving up in the creek area. Just move up and down the bank, throwing your net , and you'll find them. When you do find them , have a bucket handy , load them up , take them home and put them in zip lock freezer bags, and throw them in the freezer. Alot of times , I dont get any shad, but if you try everyday, and keep throwing in different areas , you'll find them , and when you do, you might get enough to last you through the summer. Ive been doing so so , so far, but Ill get more in the next 3 weeks. :)

4. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    Rajun, i'll give you a few tips on how to locate shad. Shad feed on zooplankton which get there food form the sun. I alway like to start looking for them on the end of the lake where wind is blowing into the shore. The zooplankton gets blown with the wind and will really accumulate in coves with the wind blowing into them. I then watch the surface of the water to see if there are any shad flipping. If you see a couple of shad flipping on the surface you can bet there are alot more beneath. I also look for areas with lots of gulls, which feed on shad. hope this helps.

5. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Cory, a few years ago I watched a couple of guys catching gizzard shad with a flyrod down at the boat ramp. It was dead calm, they had some kind of tiny fly on. They'd catch one every once in awhile, but they had to cast quite a few times per shad. I'd stick with the cast net technique unless you have a lot of time to waste. The windward side of the lake is good advice too.

6. frisco66

frisco66 New Member

State:
    NE
    Thanks for the info-Here in Nebraska,shad for cat is the way to go-but finding/catching them is another thing.

7. Nightfisher

Nightfisher Guest

Forget the cast net, flyrod, sabiki rigs and all that. The absolute best way to get shad is the gill net. If its legal in your area. Here in VA most serious catfishermen get bait with a gill net. Takes 5-10 minutes to get a dozen or so 12+ inch gizzard shad. No throwing or skill involved. Just set the net, sit and look at the floats for a few minutes, then haul it in and pick the shad out. Only difficulty is if a cat gets in it since they tend to roll and will tangle badly in it.

8. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    I agree with Nightfisher. A gill net is alot faster. I fish year round and its no fun throwing a wet cast net when its 25 deegres. Id rather be cat fishin than shad fishing. I use a 50 x 6 gill net. Id never go back to the cast net for catfishig. I also fish in Virginia alot.

9. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    These gill nets, are the set up in a river with current or in a lake? If it is in a lake how to you get the shad to swim into the net, I mean there is a lot of lake out there and you have a little net in comparison. I don't think you herd them into the net so how do you do it? I would appreciate a little more in depth lesson on how it is done.

10. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I'm like Beeheck, I too would like to learn this techniche for lake trapping. Also, where would one look to buy a gill net? Doug

11. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'd like more info on this gill net if any of you are experienced.

12. hangemhorns

hangemhorns New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    if you go below a dam if there is one by where tailwaters come out you are bound to get some with a cast net

13. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    when i catch shad i keep them in a ziploc bag and freeze them with water... so i can use them anytime i want... also... there good for trotlines that way :)

14. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'll bet 10 to 1 these guys were catching mooneye and not gizzard shad. Mooneye are bug-eaters and are readily taken on a fly rod. Gizzard shad feed almost entirely off of zooplankton and phytoplankton and rarely are caught on rod & reel.

Attached Files:

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't know anything about using a gill net, but you can buy them at Jann's Netcraft. I prefer using either a castnet or a shad dipnet. The shad dipnet is different from a regular landing net in that it's made of metal mesh, rather than nylon or rubber, so that you can swish it through the water faster. Mine's made from 1/2" hardware cloth. Find a place where there's a good current running along a concrete wall, and you can get them much easier with the dipnet than with a castnet.

16. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    And evidently the same cofusion exists between the mooneye's cousin, goldeye, and skipjack herring.......

But it really doesn't matter which you're using for bait as long as it catches fish. I caught a 24 lb flathead on trotline last year w/ cut mooneye.

http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=2;t=013394

"99 times out of 100, in Nebraska, you've got a goldeye, NOT a skipjack. I've caught hundreds of skipjack before, but never one in Nebraska. People can't ever seem to keep them straight."

Attached Files:

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Question about mooneyes. Do they fight hard and jump like skipjack? Skipjack look, fight, and jump like baby tarpon.

18. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Jerry, last year was the emergence of the 17 yr periodical cicada (locust year) in this locale and we collected literally thousands of them (still have thousands frozen) and we caught several mooneye with them, and no, they did not come topwater when caught that I can recall.

19. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Normally I would agree, but I know beyond a doubt that Jim - Catfish Fever knows the difference between goldeye, which are common on his lake, and gizzard shad. Jim is the one I learned about goldeye from, way back in 2004.

20. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

..........whatever........

I've seen ol' timers here confuse the two; mooneye with gizzard shad.