How to catch large bream?

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by Gibbzilla, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    When I'm not catfishing, I'm bream fishing. I've caught my fair share of large bream, but I was wanting to know how to consistently catch large bream. What bait should I use, and how deep should I set my fixed bobber?

2. Greg32

Greg32 New Member

State:
    Northeast Kansas
    From what I've read from various sources bream sort themselves by size. Smaller ones up close to the surface, and get bigger towards the bottom. Depending on the area your fishing its pretty much trial and error. I'd start fishing 4 to 6 feet deep and work down from there. Its been my experience that bream love the good ol' nightcrawler at least thats what the 75 I caught friday were grabbing as soon as the worm hit the water.

Greg

3. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    My sonar is showing them @ 10'. Around structures. I have been using a red and white tube about a inch long. Got some nice crappie and gills. I have also been using a red and white led head (the kind with feathers) and a grub same depth.
    Bill

4. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I use a nightcrawler with no weight and I can pull them out left and right like this but, when I want bigger bluegill I just go deeper and reel into where there biting. usually the bluegill bite will go out where I fish at from the bank out into the water 20 feet so I fish in 15-20 feet of water for the big ones and up close for the small ones

5. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    i use a small crappie jig tiped with a wax worm and fish it right over top of weed beds in about 5-10 feet of water with a small slip float.

6. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    what exactly is bream? I'd never heard this term until I got on here. From what i gather it is a general term for panfish. Is this correct?

7. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    max, bream is a term for the blue-gill. i have most of my luck with the big gills/redear off of a weed bed or stump rows where it drops to deeper water. i use a small red hook, bb size sinker 2ft above hook. baby nightcrawlers have worked best for me. plus,a fishfinder helps to find them when they are stacked up on a flat in the middle of nowhere, in very deep waters. hope this helps, bro.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Yep, bream is a Southern term for bluegill and other sunfish with the same body shape, but if in England, its another fish entirely. I find my big ones in 8-12 ft of water in the summer, but they may be anywhere from 18" on down.