How to catch grass carp?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by flatheaddundee, Nov 17, 2005.

1. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    I've caught regular carp before on purpose and by accident, but I have seen some monster grass carp cruising the shallows of ponds before and was wondering if there was a way to fish for them? I've heard that you can fly fish for them?

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i read you can chum them with corn. then you putt a cherry tomato (or some other kind of vegie )under a bobber to catch them. never tried its just somthing i hurd.

3. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    We've been doing some pretty good Carp catching lately, we chum with corn mixed in corn syrup and vanilla. I made one batch with Anise and one with Garlic, all three work pretty well. It's kinda of slowed down some since the water cooled.

4. crossxsticks

crossxsticks Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I use canned corn , the cheep kind is best , use a hair rig or just a small hook and fish on bottom

5. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    Corn is a good grasser bait (sweetcorn), but fishing it with a float close to the bank is the best technique. They are skitish and often very gentle on the bite, so a small float helps you spot the pull down or lift up of the bait. Some guys use small cherry tomatoes on the surface too! There is a source of really great corn (italian), and carp stuff from Wackerbaits.com out of chicago. Breadcrust also works! Since it has cooled off, I have had trouble catching, but a friend in St Louis has caught carp in park ponds all winter. Hannibal Mike

6. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    ive heard of people snagging them, but I heard to actually have one bite your bait, then use a small piece of bannana peel..........I'm not sure if this is true, but it came froma reliable source........grass carp are great for keeping a pond or small lake very clean..........

7. willisjj

willisjj Guest

We had good luck with a recipe I gave Jim (catfish fever) a while back. We had one urban lake in Phoenix and grass carp was all that it contained (no common carp). My son caught a 25 pounder on that recipe. I think I posted it in another thread, if you can't find it, e-mail or pm me and I will give it to you if you want. I have also seen people catch them with just a worm which really surprised me. I guess if you try enough, they are liable to bite anything. You'd think they wouldn't bite anything but grass, being a grass carp, lol, but you ought to try keeping some on your hook, lol.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know some people who have caught some big grassys using cherry tomatoes.

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I couldnt do that Jack. I'd run out of bait. I love Cherry 'Maters! Good thing we use Shad to catfish with, I don eat shad. I could never be a 199% carper. Cherry 'Mater, Wheaties, Jello, Corn, heck..... I like all that stuff. We'd be out of bait in no time!

10. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jeremy, sorry I forgot to mention your dough bait, I ALWAYS have one pole baited with it, if I don't catch anything with it, usually we don't catch any at all on our other baits. That is some fantastic stuff :thumbsup: . I'm already working on my second batch.

11. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    If you can find it. They love cottonseed cake on a limb line about 6"-8" from the surface. Use very strong tackle.

12. lonegunman88240

lonegunman88240 New Member

State:
    new mexico
    you might want to check the laws for your area, i say that because here in nm you are highly encouraged to release grass carp unharmed, the state had them shipped in and released to control the water plant life

13. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Me and a buddy caugth a few off a hot lake on...nightcrawlers...yes, nightcrawlers on a slightly modified slip rig. The same rigs we catfish with on the lake. We just put on a smaller circle hook and gob on two nightcrawlers. The always hit in a certain feeding lane though, and we never catch any on any more than one rod! The just keep coming back around hit that same rod, like they're travelling a certain path, and don't deviate from that "lane". Also, we haven't caught any under 40lbs. Really fun though!

14. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    You are highly incouraged to keep all carp out of the main rivers. We have so many that they are in competition with the native fish.

15. lonegunman88240

State:
    new mexico
    common carp is fair game here, and most do thier part to get them out of the rivers, but grass carp is a no no for some reason

16. lonegunman88240

State:
    new mexico
    as soon as my boat is ready to go again i plan on setting up to bowfish common carp

17. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    The impounded Mississippi seems to be an ideal environment for them. I think the record on pool 26 is 56# or so. Its floating ice now so I guess I won't be after 'em anytime soon. :crying:

18. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    Do you keep and eat them,or catch and release?Never fished for them or caught them,but I have seen some that had to be at least 36". :0a21:

19. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    I am from up north,what is cottenseed cake? This must be a Southern thing cause nobody I asked ever heard of it.